cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering Catalogs (Cold Backup) from Solaris to Linux

SF-6900
Level 2
Hi All, This is my first post. Hope to get a response on this one.

We are trying in the process of changing a Solaris System running NBU 6.0 to a Redhat Linux system with NBU 6.5. Can the catalogs be recovered onto the Linux system? Has Anyone tried this before? I found that in some docs Symantec says this is not supported. But my point is  - they are both Unix systems and I believe there should be a way to this.

Thanks a lot, in advance
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SF-6900
Level 2

After logging a case with Symantec, I found that this would be possible through Symantec Professional Services.

This doc tells that the topology must be the same, but its still possible by the professional support.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/301049.htm

But considering our budget, we have decided to import the catalogs from the images (bpimport). This is a tedious task!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Even
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Use a HotCatalog (why cold?) and Disaster Recovery into new hardware into same master hostname, same install-path and same NBU-version/patches.
Do the upgrade before or after depending on support-matrix.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
better ask Symantec, for any kind of Netbackup migration from one OS to an other is always your best option to ask Symantec because is not simple task or a copy-paste

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
because of different bits order in bytes, little and big endian and filesystem attributes (I don't know your filesystems, sometimes it's not possible to recover backup of one filesystem to another type of)

I did the migration like this but
1. I would not rely on dump/restore of Image DB (copy is better idea)
2. I would not try to copy over NBDB binary files (dump it and recover) - this can be very tricky.

Based on this two sentences above I would say - if the backup/recover approach will not help you, you can always ask Symantec Consulting to do it for you (the only official way)

Of course you have to maintain the same filesystem hierarchy and hostnames at the destination server.

Even
Level 5
Partner Accredited
In my  Notes I found Solaris to RedHat on NBU_5.1 and HpUX to Solaris NBU 6.0_M4 in VCS.
If possible LAB it first, remember Catalog backup.
Same installpath, hostname, master name, same NBU-Verisons and supported on both platforms.
Purge/empty  DSU's, Delete Tapedrives, robots. (different OS have different path's)
Hot DR to disk , ftp ALL files, DR from disk same path.  
(Good Luck)
Anyway, you will always have your old master as a fall-back.

SF-6900
Level 2

After logging a case with Symantec, I found that this would be possible through Symantec Professional Services.

This doc tells that the topology must be the same, but its still possible by the professional support.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/301049.htm

But considering our budget, we have decided to import the catalogs from the images (bpimport). This is a tedious task!

stan56
Level 4
As Even stated above, yes, you can do that. Not supported by Symantec but it works. Basically you set up a brand new server, install NB binaries, and then just copy the catalog over. No need to use backup/restore or any import. You will need to clean up and rerun device config wizard after you're done.

So I would do this. Install NB 6.0 binaries onto the new box. Copy catalog over. Upgrade to 6.5.

I migrated this way NB 5.1 from a Solaris box to a Linux box about 2 years ago. The idea was to copy 5.1 master to a new box and then upgrade to 6.0. It worked out just fine. I also recently migrated in similar fashion from 5.1 (Solaris 8 box) to 6.5 (Solaris 10 box). Again, it works.

SF-6900
Level 2
Stan56, I did the same before I logged the case with Symantec. I copied the below directories

/usr/openv/netbackup/db
/usr/openv/volmgr/database
/usr/openv/var/global
/usr/openv/db/data/

from the old server to the new server having the same version. But there were issues. I could not create a volume pool.