cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering NBU Catalog for system refresh

Ira_Brock
Level 5

Hello,

We are planning on building a new Netbackup instance in order to upgrade, and move from Windows to Linux (Red Hat) all at once. I have read that in order to perform a catalog restore to a new system, that they must be at the same version level. Therefore, I plan on upgrading our current Windows box to version 7.5 before moving over to Linux on the new box.

1st Question -

My primary question is, is it possible for me to take a backup of the catalog on a Windows 2008 server (NBU Version 7.5) and to recover that catalog in to a Red Hat Enterprise v6.2 (NBU Version 7.5) environment? From what I read online, Symantec keeps re-enforcing that version numbers need to be the same, but they do not talk much about going between system platforms. I just want to make sure that this is doable.

2nd Question - 

If our Master server is based on Linux, can we still have Windows 2008 media servers that communicate with it? The reason I ask, is that I have been told by Symantec that VMware backups will not work unless the media server performing the backup (via V-center) needs to be a Windows machine. Therefore, we need to leave one of our media servers on Windows in order to accomadate this type of backup.

Thank you for any answers you can give me. I have read many documents, but none are very specific to my questions. I have also opened a ticket with Symantec support, but I find support off this forum is usualy more helpful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

1.  You cannot restore a catalog from a windows server to a linux server.

It is possible via consulting services from one of the Symantec Partners, but not as an in-house task.

Here is a technote that confirms this :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385

Technical support are not allowed to carry out this work.

2.  Windows media servers will work fine with a Linux master.

Regards,

Martin

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

1.  You cannot restore a catalog from a windows server to a linux server.

It is possible via consulting services from one of the Symantec Partners, but not as an in-house task.

Here is a technote that confirms this :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385

Technical support are not allowed to carry out this work.

2.  Windows media servers will work fine with a Linux master.

Regards,

Martin

Ira_Brock
Level 5

Thank you for your kind reply and reference. Much appreciated.