cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering deleted policy

MohitK
Level 4
Using netbackup 6.5.5
is it possible to restore a policy if the corresponding folder in veritas\netbackup\db\class directory cant be found/restored??
I could recreate the policy but I dont remember all the policy specific settings..
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

Need to recover that Policy folder by using Hot catalog recovery / Normal Backup recovery/ File Recovery.

and place that restored folder in class folder.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can browse the hot catalog backup similar to a normal file system backup using the BAR GUI. Just select the master as source and destination client and select the backup type as Catalog backup.

MohitK
Level 4
Looks like we havent got hot catalog backup configured. When I try the options above, I get a message saying no backups found for NBU-Catalog policy :(

MohitK
Level 4
Ok I there is a catalog policy but BAR GUI can't any backup probably because the retention period is one day. Can I use a catalog tape media to retrive the deleted policy folder??

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you have a one day expiration on your catalog policy and you are using one tape only for catalog backups, it means that you are overwriting that tape every day and will not be able to restore your lost policy if the loss ocurrend more than 24 hours ago.

Maybe you want to read chapter 6 (NetBackup Catalog) of Admin Guide I again and then have another look at your catalog backup policy and retention period?

Deepak_G
Level 6
Certified

If you take a Filesystem level backup of that server (without excluding the db folder), you may try and restore the folder

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

See this note from the Admin Guide:

"...
If you import an online, hot catalog backup, import all the child jobs that were used to create the catalog backup. All jobs must be imported to import the catalog backup.
..."

If successful then you could look at trying the restore of the policy again.

Definitely look at increasing the retention period for your catalog backups.

Personally we have 1 month retentions (on/off site) & have recently started using 1 year retentions (this has no real use per se other than the odd time when you say "I'm sure we used to have a policy that allowed us to....." i.e. used for ad-hoc restores of policies etc.)