Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery Netbackup Master/Media server and MSDP

AndresV
Level 6
Partner    VIP   

Hi guys,

I have a Master/media (same server) is running in a Windows 2008 R2.

I´m planning to move it to another blank hardware with windows 2012 I will keep same hostname and IP address (of course I will shutdown the first one). The MDSP is on a san disk (drive F) so after reinstalling windows I will present it to the new server using same drive letter.

I was reading Netbackup 811 Troubleshoting guide and I found this (pag 158).

"1 Install a minimal Windows operating system (perform the Express install).
■ Install the same type and version of Windows software that was used
previously."

My question is, according the extract above, Veritas wont support this process? What should be the steps to accomplish this?

How do I import those images, considering the drive F is intact and all images are there? 

Thanks guys.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This might be confusing, but the troubleshooting guide is for troubleshooting and typically the easiest way to troubleshoot a problem is to use the same components that's my assumption why this guide is written this way. 

Veritas will support a migration between Windows versions, see the relevant guide here: https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100022623.html

For your specific case, I'd suggest two things that will make the migration a bit easier:

1. Don't store NBU catalog backup on MSDP itself. Put it on Basic or Advanced Disk or tape
  2. Make a record of MSDP pool credentials. You may need them to re-add the pool, there is a procedure to reset them but it's an additional step which is avoidable

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mouse

This might be confusing, but the troubleshooting guide is for troubleshooting and typically the easiest way to troubleshoot a problem is to use the same components that's my assumption why this guide is written this way. 

Veritas will support a migration between Windows versions, see the relevant guide here: https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100022623.html

For your specific case, I'd suggest two things that will make the migration a bit easier:

1. Don't store NBU catalog backup on MSDP itself. Put it on Basic or Advanced Disk or tape
  2. Make a record of MSDP pool credentials. You may need them to re-add the pool, there is a procedure to reset them but it's an additional step which is avoidable

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
Since you are keeping the NetBackup version, Installation path as well as the hostname identical, we would definitely assist if you face any encounter any issues with the catalog recovery. Since its from one version of windows to another version of windows it does not matter.

I would recommend running an nbsu on the exiting master server and ensure that you verify if NetBackup was installed using the shortname or fqdn as you would need to install NetBackup on your windows 2012 machine with the exact same name.

If your catalog is split across multiple drives do ensure that all the drive letters are available on the new master server.

Once this is done you would need to manually configure MSDP storage server via command command line (no gui) the. the remaining portion for disk pool and stu configuration can be performed either via cli or gui.

Once this is successfully done you can then perform your catalog recovery.

Below article outlines these steps
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100006963.html

In case NetBackup is higher than 8.1 then the 1st step would be to perform the installation ss DR master server providing your DR package then follow all the above mentioned steps to configure MSDP and then perform the recovery.

If you encounter any issues during the recovery of nbdb I would suggest either logging a case with us or performing it in 2 steps i.e. partial caralog recovery followed by running the following command

“nbdb_restore -dbn NBDB -recover -staging”

AndresV
Level 6
Partner    VIP   

Thanks guys,
This whole process was pretty smooth, however I got a "entity not found" error when I try to run a backup with every agent-based client.
I´ll open a about this and I´ll keep you informed guys.

Marianne
Level 6

@AndresV 

Did you follow advice from @Amol_Nair regarding DR package installation on new master? 

In case NetBackup is higher than 8.1 then the 1st step would be to perform the installation as DR master server providing your DR package then follow all the above mentioned steps to configure MSDP and then perform the recovery.

You can also have a look at this post:
https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/227-no-entity-was-found/m-p/857249