cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery without import

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello

I am aware of this TN https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100016138 and am wondering if this is still suitable in 8.0 and 8.1.2 NBU world?
I had to reinstall NBU on dozen servers due to domain change (nbu was installed using FQDN - now it is installed using hostname only) and now I am wondering if I can restore content of <install dir>\netbackup\db\images\<clients> in order to see previoulsy made backups using old NBU domain (the one with FQDN). Tapes with valid backup from old domain were moved to some volume pool which will not be used for 1000% with new backups...

Any one did someting like this? Will it be supported? Any idea? As you do know importing all these tapes is really time consuming. Most of servers remained on old NBU version and some were reinstalled using 8.1.2 - earlier on these were on 8.0.

6 REPLIES 6

DK12
Level 3

I'm a bit unclear if you had a single master or multiple given your reference to different versions of NB on various servers, however, assuming your master using the FQDN was the only master, I'd suspect a partial recovery will work, I've seen it done, but I can't say with any certainty, that it'll work with NB 8.x.  Best bet? spin up a virtual machine, and perform the steps to see how it goes.  Best case, all goes well, medium case, you might have to add an alias for the FQDN to point to the hostname, worst case, you find out it doesn't work.

If you've already started using the newly named master, and it has it's own database that is being populated, this could get tricky.  This is where the money spent on a catalog migration/merger service may have saved you a lot of headaches - in a former life, the company I was at did these for customers, and saved them a huge amount of effort to deal with legacy issues.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

IMHO, Recovery Without Import will still work.

The latest available doc (that you referred to) was updated for NBU 7.5 when image headers were moved into the EMM database.

Nothing has changed since then as far as image db is concerned.

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello

It's a pity that documentation is not being updated...

Thank you @Marianne 

As suggested by @DK12 i will try to spinup VM and test it in first place, but such trivial tasks in my company are not easiest ones to be achieved... too many teams are being involved... wintel, storage, network... so simply tasks become a nightmare ;)

Marianne

@quebek wrote:

Hello

It's a pity that documentation is not being updated...

I agree. The problem is that the person who 'invented' this procedure was 'put to pasture' during the Symantec/Veritas split. 

I will see if I can bring this to the attention of current NBU Product managers... 

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I agree with Marianne - to the best of my knowledge the procedure should still work.

Marianne

Another reply from a Veritas SE:

FYI: There’s a section in the NBU in Highly Available Environments guide about partial catalog recovery. At a first glance it appears to contain what’s in the old white paper.

It seems that we don’t refer to the process as “recovery without import” any more.