cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redirected restore for a Sharepoint site collection - Error 2408

felix_nguyen
Level 4

Hi,

I am trying to do a redirected site collection fof a web application to a blank site within our Sharepoint landscape.

A normal restore to original location works most of the times but with the redirected restore I get always the error code 2408.

09:34:57 (38047.xxx) Found (667,960) files in (1) images for Restore Job ID 38047.xxx
09:34:57 (38047.001) Restoring from copy 1 of image created 3/12/2016 8:03:33 AM from policy DEV_SHAREPOINT_GRANULAR
09:34:57 (38047.001) Granular restore has started, this may take a while....
09:35:08 (38047.001) INF - Restore executed on server Sharepoint_SQL_SERVER
09:36:27 (38047.001) TAR - Unable to restore. Skipping file: SharePoint - teamsstg.mycompany.net80\Content-DB 1 ( Sharepoint_SQL_SERVER/WSS_Content_TeamsDevnsgappsnet)\WSS_Content_TeamsDevcompanyappsnet
09:36:27 (38047.001) TAR - Unable to restore. Skipping file: SharePoint - teamsstg.mycompany.net80\Content-DB 1 ( Sharepoint_SQL_SERVER/WSS_Content_TeamsDevnsgappsnet)\WSS_Content_TeamsDevnsgappsnet\/sites/ECM
09:36:27 (38047.001) UTF - Unable to locate for restore: Microsoft SharePoint Resources\Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application\SharePoint - teamsstg.mycompany.net80\Content-DB 1 ( Sharepoint_SQL_SERVER /WSS_Content_TeamsDevnsgappsnet)\WSS_Content_TeamsDevcompanyappsnet\/sites/ECM\default.aspx:1.0
09:36:27 (38047.001) INF - GRE EXITING WITH STATUS = 0
09:36:27 (38047.001) INF - GRE RESTORED 0 OF 3 FILES SUCCESSFULLY
09:36:27 (38047.001) INF - GRE KEPT 0 EXISTING FILES
09:36:27 (38047.001) INF - GRE PARTIALLY RESTORED 0 FILES

09:36:28 (38047.001) Status of restore from copy 1 of image created 3/12/2016 8:03:33 AM = the restore failed to recover the requested files

09:36:31 INF - Server status = 2804
09:36:31 (38047.xxx) INF - Status = MS-SharePoint policy restore error.

I checked the requirements list in the official Veritas documentation but couldn't find the reason for the issues.

The source for the restore is a full backup on disk.

Is such a restore possible or can you just restore the whole webapplication DB?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, the complete redirection limitations (see Guide):

The following cannot be redirected to another web application:

■ Documents and folders (With SharePoint 2010 and 2007, these items can be redirected to a file system.)

■ Farm Configuration database and Single Sign-on database

■ Index Files or Index database

BS,

Michal

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

from the NetBackup Sharepoint Admin Guide, page 18:

■ Documents and folders (With SharePoint 2010 and 2007, these items can be redirected to a file system.)

I think this indicates also prohibited redirection into a different "folder" within the same webapp - because with restore like this, you would bypass Sharepoint workflows for document management.

Regards

Michal

felix_nguyen
Level 4

Hi Michal,

isn't a site collection saved within a DB ( web application )? So its not a document or folder? I am asking this because I am not that familiar with the structure of Sharepoint.

I am not trying to restore to the same web application but to another web application.

Regards

Felix

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

site collection is a granular item one level below database/web application level. Whatever in this structure we can consider as a folder.

Yes I recommend to take time and go through a basic MS Sharepoint documentation first, or work closely with a Sharepoint admin. According to my experince, this is the most complex NetBackup agent..

Regards

Michal

felix_nguyen
Level 4

Hi,

thanks for your helpful and fast response.

I read the whole NBU Sharepoint admin guide but that seems to be not enough and I will read basic Sharepoint documentions.

So, in general you can restore the following:

• To original location: everything
  • Redirected: the web application itself, files and folder to filesystem

Am I missing anything important?

Thanks again.

Michal_Mikulik1

Yes, the complete redirection limitations (see Guide):

■ Farm Configuration database and Single Sign-on database

■ Index Files or Index database

BS,

Michal