Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduce Install Disk Usage

AndrewPilgrim
Level 4
Partner

Afternoon,

Is there a way to reduce the amount of space the Unix client install uses on servers? I am doing some work to upgrade some Solaris servers to 7.6.1 and trying to reduce the amount of space the install takes up to a minimum due to how the servers were built and the complication of getting some additional storage allocated.

I was wondering if it there is a way to remove from the install some parts that i know we do not need. So anything to do with Sybase, Informix and DB2 for example? I know the agent comes with alot of the integrations built in now so was wondering is there a way i can edit the client install file so it does not install anything to do with these applications?

If anyone has some ideas on how i can reduce the overall space usages on the client install i would be keen to hear them.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Will_Restore
Level 6

If you only have Solaris clients, delete folders for the others (Debian, HPUX, RedHat, SuSE, etc.)

You do know support for 7.6 ended 3 months ago? 

Genericus
   VIP   

The install and updates make tar copies of the ENTIRE installation, so you endu p using twice the space needed. 

You can grab a spare disk and link the /usr/openv/pack to that disk, so you do not over load the /usr space.

NOTE - these pack files make upgrading and uninstalling work, so be sure you are stable before deleting them!

However, I know I can install 7.6.1 and upgrade to 7.6.1.2 in 20 minutes, so I am not concerned about removing these packs.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

@Will_Restore Going to be honest and say "No". Didnt even look to be honest at this stage as these Solaris servers we are working on are still running 6.5.6.

@Genericus The trouble is these Solaris boxes are a right ballache to get more disk to. So was hoping to see after the install if there was anything i could remove. But it would appear not anyway from some more digging around i have done so looks like i am going to have to go through the process of trying to get the client to present some more disk to the servers..

Genericus
   VIP   

The majority of the space is the pack dir - which is really only used for backing out updates, AFAIK

# du -sk */ | sort -k1n
8 share/
16 lost+found/
32 msg/
52 logs/
472 tmp/
508 var/
1104 resources/
102952 pdde/
141492 netbackup/
338232 java/
449320 pack.7.6.1/
499964 lib/
2022768 pack/

If you can redirect that on install to somewhere else, it would save that space. I have deleted it all before with no issues. every time you patch - you add another batch of save files. As long as your install process is smotth, there is no need to keep them.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS