cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reducing size of client install software

jim_dalton
Level 6

Simple enough requirement: I'm a bit tight on space, so could do to lose the fat on client install.

Specifically the solaris client.

Ideally after the event, ie anything I can rm?

Otherwise is the way to go to run update_clients from the cmdline but with the -Install_Client_Bins set?

Ie uninstall, then reinstall but exclude Java.

Sol7601 master.

Thanks in advance,Jim

13 REPLIES 13

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You will be in real trouble then when you run accelerator backups and the track files start consuming space or you need VERBOSE debug logging.

I suggest you ask the UNIX admin to extend the file system instead.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Or move NBU installation from /usr to another path...

I would not try and figure out which parts of the installation binaries can be deleted...

Will_Restore
Level 6

You can safely remove any undeeded directories under /usr/openv/netbackup/client

For example if you have no Windows clients,  rm /usr/openv/netbackup/client/Windows*

jim_dalton
Level 6

Wow simple question and no answers.

Nicolai: I dont run accelerator and I am the Unix sysad and extending isnt an option.

MvdB:I dont have any other paths, I have / and theres maybe 1G free. Enough to get by but in need of a slightly better fix.

wr: I will look into your advice.

Does anyone know if -install_client_bins really does reduce the footprint.

Thanks,Jim

Will_Restore
Level 6

The following options are available through the /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/update_clients script:
     Install_Client_Bins         (used to install client binaries only, no java)
     Install_Java                     (used to install java binaries only)
     Force_Install                  (used to install but not run contingency check of OS
                                            and version (typically used for Solaris/SunOS
                                            discrepancies when checking the UNAME output))

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH9914

jim_dalton
Level 6

Well...

wr: data in client directory refers to server install not client I believe. Anyways, such a dir does not exist.

Install_client_bins is a fun one: run it with:

ERROR:   There are 992118 kbytes of space left in /usr/openv.
         You will need about 1670405 kbytes of space to install
         the NetBackup client.  Refer to the NetBackup Release Notes for
         UNIX, Windows and Linux for the most current information on the
         minimum binary size requirements of NetBackup software for each
         supported platform and operating system.

Run it without:

ERROR:   There are 992029 kbytes of space left in /usr/openv.
         You will need about 1670405 kbytes of space to install
         the NetBackup client.  Refer to the NetBackup Release Notes for
         UNIX, Windows and Linux for the most current information on the
         minimum binary size requirements of NetBackup software for each
         supported platform and operating system.

So I dont  have the time to debug the script...maybe it wont install the latest java but it'll still leave the old?

There must be a better way...how about delete the client completely then install  the client with -install_client_bins. Trouble is, I could end up with no client on there and no space to install it! Dangerous.

Jim

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Have you had a look at all the backups from previosu installs / patches - they tend to keep backups so that you can roll back - most of them the full fat size of the original install - if you are not going to roll back you could loose those

If i remember they will live under /usr/openv/pack?

jim_dalton
Level 6

That jogs my memory Mark_s yes, the "pack". Sadly I dont have any of these.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

What version does your client have at the moment - unless it is at a GA release i am sure they put it all somewhere - maybe "patch"

jim_dalton
Level 6

I'm on 7.1 and I've been trying to address this for a while as it appears much of the excess has already been removed. But not the java elements. I may have to live with it.

Pity about the lack of clarity with install_client_bins, it could be my solution.

Jim

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Well if /usr/openv is pretty big and that combined with any current free space is more than 1670405 kbytes then I guess uninstalling and re-installing may be your only option

You really do need more space otherwise you will never be able to apply any patches

Yogesh_Jadhav1
Level 5

Jim,

To add to the discussion, we had faced this problem but the only solution was to increase the space after trying ways to reduce the pkg size. Lastly we have suggest the NetBackup Developer Engineers to look into this.

jim_dalton
Level 6

Thanks Yogesh. Seems to me superficially at least that the reduction is at install time ie the bundle is the bundle, so thats not the right way to do it. But I dont have the time to plough thro' it to check.

It cant be that hard...

Jim