cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reg Oracle DB backup

Govarthanagiri
Level 4
Hi all, netbackup appliance with version 7.5 Client : RHEL 5.9 Oracle DB :11G I have planed to take a backup of Oracle DB with archive logs using RMAN. so I have read the document related that but I am not clear about the below point. So please help me to get clear the below point 1. If I have created a policy with full back of the DB , are the archive logs also be backed up while run the policy ? Or must need a separate policy for the archive logs ? Thanks , Giri
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It all depends on what is in the Oracle RMAN script.

Work with your Oracle dba to create own scripts or edit the sample scripts in
/usr/openv/netbackup/ext/db_ext/oracle/samples/rman

The hot_database_backup.sh sample script will backup databases and archive logs.

View solution in original post

Marianne

You need to have a discussion with your Oracle dba.

The database backup script will/should include archive logs.

Based on the environment, there may be a need to run additional archive log backups throughout the day.

We have customers doing database and archive log backups once a day as well as archive log backups every xx hours.
These additional archive log backups will be in a separate policy.

Walker_Yang1
Level 5
Employee

hi, Govarthanagiri

Based on your requriement, I suggest that you configure two policies like this:

one policy "DB backup" with full/diff/cum schedule, backing up data files, controlfiles/parameter file, archived logs. backup scripts spcifies to back up the above data.

regarding schedule,

Sunday: full backup

Monday~Saterday incremental backup(each day one incremenatal backup)

full backup of every day and incremental backup of every four hour might impact oracle performance. If you need to back your DB up every hours, i think you could backup archived logs every hours instead of backing up database, less performance impact.

it means that create another policy "DB archived logs backup", e.g. every couples of hours, of course, frequent backup might impact oracle performance. Depend on your actual business.

Having DB full/incremental backup, plus archived logs, you can restore your DB successfully in case of unexpected. restore DB full/incremental backup ,and apply your archive logs to redo your DB to most recent time point.

Thanks

Walker_Yang1
Level 5
Employee

Hello,

The reason should be that your archived logs don't exist on server, but the corresponding records for these archivelogs still exsit in control file. when backup database, it will read related info from control file. So if it can't locate these archived logs on server, the issue occurs.

So you could execute the following comand to resolve this issue.

RMAN> crosscheck archivelog all; (it updates archived logs' records in the controle file to expired status)

RMAN>delete expired archivelog all; (remove records of expired backups and copies from control file)

And then run again.

Thanks

23 REPLIES 23

Marianne

It all depends on what is in the Oracle RMAN script.

Work with your Oracle dba to create own scripts or edit the sample scripts in
/usr/openv/netbackup/ext/db_ext/oracle/samples/rman

The hot_database_backup.sh sample script will backup databases and archive logs.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I strong recommend backing up archive applied to the database while the backup was run, else you can get problem performing media recovery of the database after restore.

If you can, upgrade to 7.6 and use Netbackup Intelligent Policies. It so easy to use

Govarthanagiri
Level 4

Thanks Marianne and Nicolai for your reply

Hi Marianne,

so there is no need for a seprate policy for archive logs, am i correct ?

Hi Nicolai,

from your reply , "I strong recommend backing up archive applied to the database while the backup was run" that means i should have single policy for the full DBs with archive logs. am i corret?

Thanks and Regards,

Giri

Marianne

You need to have a discussion with your Oracle dba.

The database backup script will/should include archive logs.

Based on the environment, there may be a need to run additional archive log backups throughout the day.

We have customers doing database and archive log backups once a day as well as archive log backups every xx hours.
These additional archive log backups will be in a separate policy.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Intelligent Policies will take care of both online backup and archive. You can also configure normal offline redo not part of a database backup in the same policy using Intelligent Policies

Intelligent Policies enables you to schedule a group of databases (aka instance group") as if they where normal file systems backups.

Hope that answers the question.

Govarthanagiri
Level 4

Thanks to all

here is my plan to confiure the polices and provide the below justification to my team...i hope  the diff-incremental will take the new archive logs as well since the previos bakcup.. kindly let me know if anything wrong

Oracle DB Full Backup

Scheduled: Daily basis

Oracle backup policy runs a backup of the entire oracle DB while it’s online using RMAN

Oracle DB Differential- Incremental Backup

Scheduled: Every Four Hours

Oracle differential- Incremental backup runs a backup of the DB files that have changed since the previous backup (full, differential - incremental)

thanks,

Giri

Marianne

Again - it all depends on what is in your script(s).

Have you had a look at the sample scripts yet?

If you don't want to rely on scripts, upgrade to 7.6.0.x and make use of Oracle Intelligent Policies.

jim_dalton
Level 6

+1 for OIP. Works a treat and removes the need for scripts and their maintenance. Althogether a much more thought out solution. And I've spent years doing it the old way. You owe it to yourself to upgrade and use OIP.

Jim

Walker_Yang1
Level 5
Employee

hi, Govarthanagiri

Based on your requriement, I suggest that you configure two policies like this:

one policy "DB backup" with full/diff/cum schedule, backing up data files, controlfiles/parameter file, archived logs. backup scripts spcifies to back up the above data.

regarding schedule,

Sunday: full backup

Monday~Saterday incremental backup(each day one incremenatal backup)

full backup of every day and incremental backup of every four hour might impact oracle performance. If you need to back your DB up every hours, i think you could backup archived logs every hours instead of backing up database, less performance impact.

it means that create another policy "DB archived logs backup", e.g. every couples of hours, of course, frequent backup might impact oracle performance. Depend on your actual business.

Having DB full/incremental backup, plus archived logs, you can restore your DB successfully in case of unexpected. restore DB full/incremental backup ,and apply your archive logs to redo your DB to most recent time point.

Thanks

Govarthanagiri
Level 4

Thanks Marianne,,jim dalton & walker

Hi Walker,

i noted your valuable informtion and wil check with my team

Hi Marrianne,

yes i looked the scripts and  i am chosing the policy hot_database_backup.sh to take database , control files & archive logs as you recommanded . so i am putting my DB values where the replacesment are recomanded in this script.

I hope I need not to change anything apart from the below four values . am i correct ?

Walker_Yang1
Level 5
Employee

Hello,

Please see the following link:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-policy-configuration-oracle-11gr2-rac

The following is an extract from above link, and I made corresponsding change for your requrirement(assume yours is not about oracle rac)

2) Prepare backup scripts on rac node, modify some items based on default backup script, which is located at: C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\DbExt\Oracle\Samples\rman\hot_database_backup.cmd, as following,

@set ORACLE_HOME=C:\app\Administrator\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1

@set ORACLE_SID=orcl

@set TARGET_CONNECT_STR=sys/oracle@XXX

the following section, I just added one channel for archivelog and controlfile backup.

@(
echo RUN {
echo ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch00 TYPE 'SBT_TAPE';
echo ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch01 TYPE 'SBT_TAPE';
echo BACKUP
echo       %BACKUP_TYPE%
echo       FORMAT 'bk_u%%u_s%%s_p%%p_t%%t'
echo       DATABASE;
echo sql 'alter system archive log current';
echo RELEASE CHANNEL ch00;
echo RELEASE CHANNEL ch01;
echo # Backup all archive logs
echo BACKUP
echo       FILESPERSET 20
echo       FORMAT 'arch-s%%s-p%%p-t%%t'
echo       ARCHIVELOG ALL;
echo BACKUP
echo       FORMAT 'cntrl_%s_%p_%t'
echo       CURRENT CONTROLFILE;
echo }

NOTES: here you may notice the Net Service Name "XXX", yes you should configure this in tnsnames.ora file, located on your oracle installation directory: C:\app\Administrator\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\NETWORK\ADMIN\tnsnames.ora, add the following parts.

You could replace "XXX" with any one of the following, e.g. PHY. As we could access oracle instance through physical name.

PHY =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = rac1)(PORT = 1521))
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVER = DEDICATED)
      (SERVICE_NAME = orcl)
    )

Thanks

Govarthanagiri
Level 4

Thanks Walker

After configuring Oracle policy and setup RMAN scripts in COM09 server, I am getting the below error in Netbackup while trying to backup the Oracle DB

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

08/14/2014 01:38:26 - Info nbjm (pid=12650) starting backup job (jobid=3054) for client com09, policy vzw-Oracle, schedule Full

08/14/2014 01:38:26 - Info nbjm (pid=12650) requesting MEDIA_SERVER_WITH_ATTRIBUTES resources from RB for backup job (jobid=3054, request id:{96125B8C-2325-11E4-A1AC-3066A226079C})

08/14/2014 01:38:26 - requesting resource backupsVTC-disk

08/14/2014 01:38:26 - requesting resource vtcnb01.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.com09

08/14/2014 01:38:26 - requesting resource vtcnb01.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.vzw-Oracle

08/14/2014 01:38:26 - granted resource  vtcnb01.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.com09

08/14/2014 01:38:26 - granted resource  vtcnb01.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.vzw-Oracle

08/14/2014 01:38:26 - granted resource  backupsVTC-disk

08/14/2014 01:38:26 - estimated 0 kbytes needed

08/14/2014 01:38:26 - Info nbjm (pid=12650) started backup (backupid=com09_1407960506) job for client com09, policy vzw-Oracle, schedule Full on storage unit backupsVTC-disk

08/14/2014 01:38:27 - Info bpbrm (pid=17940) com09 is the host to backup data from

08/14/2014 01:38:27 - Info bpbrm (pid=17940) reading file list from client

08/14/2014 01:38:27 - Info bpbrm (pid=17940) starting bphdb on client

08/14/2014 01:38:27 - Info bphdb (pid=28496) Backup started

08/14/2014 01:38:27 - Info bphdb (pid=28496) Processing /usr/openv/netbackup/ext/db_ext/oracle/samples/rman/hot_database_backup.sh

08/14/2014 01:38:27 - Info bphdb (pid=28496) Waiting for the child status

08/14/2014 01:38:27 - started process bpbrm (pid=17940)

08/14/2014 01:38:27 - connecting

08/14/2014 01:38:27 - connected; connect time: 0:00:00

08/14/2014 01:39:29 - Error bpbrm (pid=17940) from client com09: ERR - Script exited with status = 1 <the requested operation was partially successful>

08/14/2014 01:39:29 - Error bpbrm (pid=17940) from client com09: ERR - bphdb exit status = 6: the backup failed to back up the requested files

08/14/2014 01:39:30 - Info bphdb (pid=28496) done. status: 6: the backup failed to back up the requested files

08/14/2014 01:39:30 - end writing

the backup failed to back up the requested files  (6)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have attached my RMAN scripts (hot_database_backup.sh) in the attchachment  so can you help me to resolve the issue

regards,

Giri

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

The rman message log $RMAN_LOG_FILE probably contains an indication of what the problem is. The bphdb & dbclient(need 777 permission) logs on the database server is also places to look.

As always when troubleshooting database backups running the script by hand can give error information not captured by the logs.

Hope this helps

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Govarthanagiri
Level 4

Thanks Michael

this is my output file,  please look this error and suggest

com09:oracle # cat hot_database_backup.sh.out

Script /usr/openv/netbackup/ext/db_ext/oracle/samples/rman/hot_database_backup.sh
==== started on Thu Aug 14 06:09:04 UTC 2014 ====

RMAN: /opt/PlexView/Oracle/ora01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/bin/rman
ORACLE_SID: plxdb
ORACLE_USER: oracle
ORACLE_HOME: /opt/PlexView/Oracle/ora01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0

NB_ORA_FULL: 1
NB_ORA_INCR: 0
NB_ORA_CINC: 0
NB_ORA_SERV: vtcnb01
NB_ORA_POLICY: vzw-Oracle

Full backup requested
Last login: Thu Aug 14 06:08:05 UTC 2014

Recovery Manager: Release 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on Thu Aug 14 06:09:04 2014

Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle and/or its affiliates.  All rights reserved.

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-00554: initialization of internal recovery manager package failed
RMAN-04005: error from target database:
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
Last login: Thu Aug 14 06:08:05 UTC 2014

Script /usr/openv/netbackup/ext/db_ext/oracle/samples/rman/hot_database_backup.sh
==== ended in error on Thu Aug 14 06:09:04 UTC 2014 ====

com09:oracle #

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

RMAN-00554: initialization of internal recovery manager package failed
RMAN-04005: error from target database:
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

Is the problem, you need  the Oracle DBA to grant the needed permissions to rman/oracle user

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Walker_Yang1
Level 5
Employee

Hello,

Miachael is right.

Your password "manager" for user "system" should be not correct. after fix this,

You can test your connect string like this.

# rman target system/manager@Net_service_name

if it can connect to rman, please modify the following entry

TARGET_CONNECT_STR=system/manager@Net_service_name

Thanks

Govarthanagiri
Level 4

Thanks Micheal and walker,

that "insufficient privileges" error is fxied after gave the admin permission to the user .... But now i am getting diffremt error in the output file as mentioned below so can you please help me to fix the issue...

--------------------------------------------

channel ch00: backup set complete, elapsed time: 00:00:15

Finished backup at 14-AUG-14

sql statement: alter system archive log current

released channel: ch00

released channel: ch01

allocated channel: ch00
channel ch00: SID=104 device type=SBT_TAPE
channel ch00: Veritas NetBackup for Oracle - Release 7.5 (2013061020)

allocated channel: ch01
channel ch01: SID=129 device type=SBT_TAPE
channel ch01: Veritas NetBackup for Oracle - Release 7.5 (2013061020)

Starting backup at 14-AUG-14
current log archived
released channel: ch00
released channel: ch01
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-03002: failure of backup command at 08/14/2014 09:51:29
RMAN-06059: expected archived log not found, loss of archived log compromises recoverability
ORA-19625: error identifying file /opt/PlexView/Oracle/ora02/oradata/plxdb/arch/1_6355_850415048.arc
ORA-27037: unable to obtain file status
Linux-x86_64 Error: 2: No such file or directory
Additional information: 3

RMAN> RMAN>

Recovery Manager complete.
Last login: Thu Aug 14 09:50:17 UTC 2014

==== ended in error on Thu Aug 14 09:51:29 UTC 2014 ====

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Walker_Yang1
Level 5
Employee

Hello,

The reason should be that your archived logs don't exist on server, but the corresponding records for these archivelogs still exsit in control file. when backup database, it will read related info from control file. So if it can't locate these archived logs on server, the issue occurs.

So you could execute the following comand to resolve this issue.

RMAN> crosscheck archivelog all; (it updates archived logs' records in the controle file to expired status)

RMAN>delete expired archivelog all; (remove records of expired backups and copies from control file)

And then run again.

Thanks

Marianne

You need to speak to dba's.

Once Oracle instance is in Archive Log mode, nobody should manually touch, move or delete any archive logs.
It must only be deleted as part of Rman backup.