Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding Flash backup restore

RohitNayal
Level 5
Certified

Hi All,

Recently we perform the Flash backup full Partition restore , originally our Source Partition is having data size around 800 GB of basic disk and our destination is Spanned volume of 1 TB after performing the whole Partition restore we found a strange behavior that our destination drive is now showing data size of 800 GB which is before restoration is around 1 TB .

We already opened a case with Symantec but didn't find any reason where our 200 GB of data size vanish.

Please suggest me if you encounter such an issue previously .

Master Server : HP-UX XXXXX  B.11.23 U 9000/800 1228469885 unlimited-user license

Software Netbackup 6.5.5

Regards,
Rohit
5 REPLIES 5

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

What does disk management show? Is there now empty space that the drive can be expanded onto?

From the Snapshot Guide:

To restore an entire raw partition, ensure that the partition is not mounted
and not in use. (For this reason, you cannot perform a raw partition restore to
the root partition, or to the partition on which NetBackup is installed.) If a
database uses the partition, shut down the database. The partition must be
the same size as when it was backed up; otherwise, the results of the restore
are unpredictable.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
When raw backup, it backs up byte data on the volume including file system meta data. If you perform raw partition restore from it, restored file system has same filesystem structure , and size of restored 'filesystem' become same with source volume. This is nature of raw partition backup and restore of any kind of file system, any backup software. There are nothing wrong with NetBackup.

RohitNayal
Level 5
Certified

Will it change the drive capacity in the OS level also , when I try to find out in the OS level of the destination drive, Data size before and after restore change and how can I recover my lost 200 GB of space from that . 

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Are you sure which you checked by your own way - partition size or file system size? Partition size is still 1TB, but OS recognize FS on it has 800GB space because there are no reference in the file system strucure for blocks beyond the the beggining of 800GB on the partition. If you woul like to use lost 200GB, format this volume and perform file-level restore instead.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

As we have said this is possibly expected (or as the Admin Guide says "unpredicatable behavoir")

Your disk is still 1TB but the file system restored is 800GB

If you have a tool to expand the file system to the rest of the disk that may help but in effect the guide is saying that restoring to a different size disk is not really supported.

Hope that we have helped answer your question