Mehul_Pal
Level 5
Hi

I am manully duplicating images
I have 2 active tapes however duplication getting failed with error 96
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Mehul ,

I am with Marianne , By default netbackup does not allow the multiple retentions per media.

You can check wherther it is enabled or not in two ways.

Direction 1 : Host properties --> Master server --> Media --> Allow multiple retentions per media (Checkbox)

Direction 2 : Run the below commad with your media server name .  

nbemmcmd -listsettings -machinename

if you find it set to "yes" then it is enabled :  ALLOW_MULTIPLE_RETENTIONS_PER_MEDIA="yes" 

******************************************************************************************************************

1 . I assume in your master multiple retentions are not place.

2.  Since the two active media's are already holding active images , no further images with different retentions can  be written to that.

That is the reason you see SC:96 with your duplications. 

Kesavan.P

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Manually duplicate to what?
STU?
Pool?
Retention?

Can you confirm that 'active' media matches robot, density (for selected STU), pool and retention level?

i checked using bpmedialist and got to know both the media's are expiring on 20th this month and backups for which I am initiating the duplication are for monthly backups which have rentention of 6 months.

This might be the reason?

Marianne
NetBackup does not mix retention levels on same media.

Hi Mehul ,

I am with Marianne , By default netbackup does not allow the multiple retentions per media.

You can check wherther it is enabled or not in two ways.

Direction 1 : Host properties --> Master server --> Media --> Allow multiple retentions per media (Checkbox)

Direction 2 : Run the below commad with your media server name .  

nbemmcmd -listsettings -machinename

if you find it set to "yes" then it is enabled :  ALLOW_MULTIPLE_RETENTIONS_PER_MEDIA="yes" 

******************************************************************************************************************

1 . I assume in your master multiple retentions are not place.

2.  Since the two active media's are already holding active images , no further images with different retentions can  be written to that.

That is the reason you see SC:96 with your duplications. 

Kesavan.P

Hi

Thanks for the info, 

if we check bp.conf will it reflect the same info?

ALLOW_MULTIPLE_RETENTIONS_PER_MEDIA="yes" 

Marianne
PLEASE FORGET about multiple retentions on tape.
It may look like a quick solution for today, but instead of the 2 tapes becoming available in 3 days, they will only become available in 6 months if they are used for this duplication.

Find or purchase more tapes.