cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register Linux boot media on DR site master server

Lumpi
Level 4

Hello

I have a new Linux bood media on one of our linux media servers. I would like to register this ISO on the master server in the DR Test site. The master server on both sites is a windows 2008 Server. I need the entry on the master to test a BMR of a Linux Server. Without the entry I cannot do a "prepare to restore" operation.

As far as I know, I do not need a network SRT in case of a disaster if I have a boot media? Right?

Is it possible to do a bmrpans -operation dump -table srt -xml and import it on the other master server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

I have reviewed my notes from former BMR tests and you are right - BMR Linux boots without Prepare To Restore action ended with errors. For example, "Failed to retrieve /tmp/HEX.conf".

ISO images are not simply "movable" from one BMR Master to another. I think, you must do as a minimum:

- register a SuSE Boot Server in NBU DR domain (I am not sure if you can register one Boot Server in 2 different NBU domains, probably not)

- create a Network SRT here, or export Network SRT from existing SuSE Boot Server in another NBU domain and import it to SuSE Boot in DR domain (only Netwotk SRTs are exportable/importable, not ISO SRTs)

- create an ISO image from the Network one

- go on with Prepare To restore

regards

Michal

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

there is no need to "register" ISO boot image in DR site. However you will have more manual work then. You can just "take it" and boot from it supposing at least 1 BMR valid backup was replicated to the DR site. But you cannot perform "prepare to restore" procedure, and thus you cannot perfrom Automatic BMR Restore, just Generic BMR Restore - more clicking with IP configs, fingerprints, tokens, etc.

Regards

Michal

The server I have to restore is a Linux SLES12. I don't have to do a "prepare to restore" for Windows clients but I think I have to do it for Linux clients. Or am I wrong? 

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

I have reviewed my notes from former BMR tests and you are right - BMR Linux boots without Prepare To Restore action ended with errors. For example, "Failed to retrieve /tmp/HEX.conf".

ISO images are not simply "movable" from one BMR Master to another. I think, you must do as a minimum:

- register a SuSE Boot Server in NBU DR domain (I am not sure if you can register one Boot Server in 2 different NBU domains, probably not)

- create a Network SRT here, or export Network SRT from existing SuSE Boot Server in another NBU domain and import it to SuSE Boot in DR domain (only Netwotk SRTs are exportable/importable, not ISO SRTs)

- create an ISO image from the Network one

- go on with Prepare To restore

regards

Michal