cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registering media server in EMM DB

NBU35
Level 6

1) If my media server has multiple interfaces(int1, int2, int3), but due to some issue only one interface(int1) is registered in EMM DB i.e nbemmcmd -listhosts only list int1 as media server.
can I register remaining interfaces right away with nbemmcmd command in running environment or do I have to follows some certian steps? 

nbemmcmd -addhost -machinename int2 -machinetype media -masterserver master -netbackupversion 7.6.0.3 -operatingsystem windows

2) If I have a master server in cluster & a new media server is also in cluster and I have to register this media server to EMM DB, then in command nbemmcmd -addhost parameter -activenodename & -clustername  will refer  to cluster of master or media server.?

Thanks in Advance !!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
In which case you have naming/routing issues. When one does not have much experience of multi-homed NetBackup servers, or networking in general, then it is best to begin in depth close contact dialogue with your network (and maybe server too) administrators - the problems that you are facing cannot be solved here. Several teams need to work closely together.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I think it would be best to use the -machinealias -addalias command if it has more than one "name" for the same server to prevent confusion as it is a media server

sdo

re 1)... Why do you have multiple interfaces that are not in a bond?   I would expect to see them in a bond, and even if they are in the seperate subnets your network admin should be able to help setup VLAN tagging across subnets so that you can bond AND can run multiple IP address (without having to expect routing through one gateway) ALL at the same time.  Please can you explain why you think you need to add these other interfaces in to the configuration?   Do they each have different gateways and different clients in different subnets which do not route to your main backup server ingest IP address?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

....  a new media server is also in cluster  .....

You add both cluster nodes as independent media servers with own devices, then add virtual hostname to EMM as app_cluster, followed by Storage Unit config with virtual hostname.

Search for app_cluster in NetBackup in Highly Available Environments Administrator's Guide 

NBU35
Level 6

Hi sdo 

thanks for your reply.

Problem is out of those two IPs, one belongs to production network and other one is dedicated backup n/w.

Now my backups are even travelling from Prod Network, which causing some serious network issues to other users and application.

I am looking forward for workaround in current setup so it should only use dedicated backup N/w.

I am under impression, if I add backup interface alias in EMM DB(currently these aliases are not present in EMM DB) and then I select that alias as media server in STU and use that STU for backups, it will use backup network.

Please suggest.

sdo
In which case you have naming/routing issues. When one does not have much experience of multi-homed NetBackup servers, or networking in general, then it is best to begin in depth close contact dialogue with your network (and maybe server too) administrators - the problems that you are facing cannot be solved here. Several teams need to work closely together.