cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Admin Console can't connect

Mark_Henrie_2
Level 4
I have a Linux SLES9 Master server and I am trying to connect to the server via remote admin console installed on a Windows XP machine. I have added the XP box to the bp.conf file as well as make sure its under the Server tab in the Host properties for the master. and I have permissions on the master server. i've even tried to login with root. Nothing works. I just can't get it to connect. Am I doing anything obviously wrong?

Please Help.

Thanks

Mark
12 REPLIES 12

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
Is the the remote console the some rev as the server? Is the server in the local bp.conf? can you ping it?

scored_well2
Level 4
Certified
If ping and bpclntcmd work from both locations, have you recycled the NBU daemons on the Linux machine? Not sure if you have to in Linux but a lot of config changes require it in both Wintel and Unix.

Mark_Henrie_2
Level 4
Yes i can ping and bpclntcmd to and from both machines. Its like there is an authentication issue when connecting. Everything is setup right. And I have recycled the daemons a few times...

Mark_Henrie_2
Level 4
Yes, they are both 6.0mp3. The remote XP machine is listed in the bp.conf

DavidParker
Level 6
Mark,
Please let me know if I understand your setup correctly: You are attempting to run the Admin Console from a Windows XP machine (this machine is not a master or media server, just a regular PC) and connect it to your master server? Also, I take it that the Java Console is not an acceptable choice?

There are 2 things you need to do to set something like that up.
1) Add the XP machine's hostname into the 'allowed servers' list, which it sounds like you've done.

2) Add the ID that you login to the XP machine with to the 'Authentication' tab in the master server properties screen. This part takes a little fiddling with, but should work.

2a) You may also need to add a /etc/hosts entry for your XP machine, but this is probably not absolutely necessary. I would suggest trying it if the 2 items above still don't work.

DP

Mark_Henrie_2
Level 4
David -

Yes. Also the Master server is a Linux box. I have done all the steps below and double checked them. I am not sure what else to do. I guess im doomed to the java console.

zippy
Level 6
Mark,

Look for xinetd on google.

http://www.linuxcommand.org/man_pages/xinetd8.html

/etc/xinetd.d # ll
total 80
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 311 Dec 6 2005 bpcd
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 377 Dec 6 2005 bpjava-msvc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 563 Feb 24 2003 chargen
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 580 Feb 24 2003 chargen-udp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 419 Feb 24 2003 daytime
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 438 Feb 24 2003 daytime-udp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 341 Feb 24 2003 echo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 360 Feb 24 2003 echo-udp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 317 Jan 25 2003 rsync
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 312 Feb 24 2003 servers
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 314 Feb 24 2003 services
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 392 Jan 31 2003 sgi_fam
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 497 Feb 24 2003 time
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 518 Feb 24 2003 time-udp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 304 Dec 6 2005 vnetd
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 307 Dec 6 2005 vopied

JD

scored_well2
Level 4
Certified
When you open up the Admin Console, check for errors in the All Log Entries report on the Master - particularly for connection refused?

You'll also need administrative rights on the Master. In the past, I've worked around this by using the 'run as' option when starting the admin console and entering a Windows domain account that's affiliated to an admin group on a Solaris Master. The technical aspects of that I'll leave to a Unix / Linux person out there as I always had my friendly Unix team to set up that authentication process for me...

T_N
Level 6
why you don't install netbackup 6.0 GUI and also install patch netbackup 6.0 GUI . You edit /usr/openv/java/auth.conf and your unix accouny & permission in it. It's simple way.

scored_well2
Level 4
Certified
I might be speaking for myself here but I find the Java version resource-hungry and slow. The Remote Admin Console is far superior in terms of actually getting work done.

Once it works.

Mark_Henrie_2
Level 4
Thanks David you were right with your last idea. /etc/hosts.

"Your desktop doesn't have a correct reverse dns entry because it is most likely setup for DHCP, and apparently Microsoft DDNS isn't flawless"

My boss figured this one out.

I made sure in /etc/hosts it pointed to my correct ip and now it works

Thanks guys

DavidParker
Level 6
Yay!

Hey, thanks for the feedback on that.
Good to know exactly which suggestion worked!