cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove NDMP host from NetBackup Management -> Host Properties -> Clients?

BrettRabe
Level 3

NB: 7.0.1

Master/Media Servers: RHEL 5

Environment: Multiple interfaces, RHEL 5 clients, FreeBSD clients, and NetApp NDMP 'clients'.

Hi there! In the NetBackup Management->Host Properties->Clients list, all of my clients show up; including my NDMP hosts. Of course, you can't connect to the NDMP client to do any management.

It's not a big deal, but ... it annoys the perfectionist in me. And it slows down a refresh on the entire Clients list waiting for it to fail on my NDMP clients.

Is there a way to make the NDMP hosts not show up in that list?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

The Java GUI does not show ANY info whatsoever, just a list of clients & that's it. Unlike the Windows version where you get the basic info on first opening the window.

You can't use the "Select-All" option as that starts to load the properties immediately (as you say). Just clicking on an individual client starts to load immediately.

You would just have to manually select each individual client or group of clients missing those out that you know are NDMP (or the odd client that maybe doesn't load for whatever other reason) - but that'd be a right royal pain if you've got '00's or '000's of clients!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

But then that defeats the object!

How are you doing the "refresh on the entire Clients list"? As far as I was aware it only actually tries to contact the NB client when you physically <enter> it. So a 'refresh' with the NDMP clients un-selected should be okay - or am I looking at this wrong?

Is it different between the Java & Windows GUI? Not in the office at the mo so can't "test".

BrettRabe
Level 3

When you first enter the Clients list after starting jnbSA none of them have been contacted and so the information is absent for all of them. I just select all and let it go out and query all of them.

In day-to-day operations this truly isn't an issue; I'm just in the middle of a big cutover from NB 5 (yeah, yeah, I know) to NB 7, and so I find myself starting jnbSA many times a day and wanting to see an updated Clients list frequently as I transition old hosts from our old NB install to the new one. It's irksome to have to wait for it to time out on the NDMP clients. :)

I don't have the Windows GUI installed; I'll test that after Thanksgiving.

I'll see if there's a quick way to select all of them and de-select the NDMP hosts, but....

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Check that FORCE_IPADDR_LOOKUP in /usr/openv/java/nbj.conf is set to 0.

BrettRabe
Level 3

Marianne:

It is set to 0.

I'm not following what you're thinking, though? NDMP clients will never return any useful information in the Host Properties->Clients list, right, because they don't have NB software installed on them? Or am I wrong about NB, and it's actually smart enough to recognize that they are NDMP clients and not try and contact them?

I feel a little silly chasing this down... it's just... dang it - I hate having a client list that has a bunch of "can't connect on socket" clients. :)

Abesama
Level 6
Partner

because there's no possible way of really removing them from the client host properties window as long as they are cofigured in policy, only option I can think of is "filtering" them out

if you can find a common text string among your non-NDMP backup clients hostnames, then you can use filter to show the non-NDMP clients only on the GUI, then you click them all to connect to them

it seems jnbSA is so stubborn, it does not have the filter comparison operator of "not contain" as in the Windows admin GUI - it has "regular expression" operator but it only seems to take vertical bar, not the ! sign nor * sign.

or sort the hostnames by name (by clicking on the column header) then select all clients with hostnames starting from a to nc, then enable - then on the second go, select all clients with hostnames starting from ne to z, enable again

the best I suggest is to go with Win gui, and use the filter "not contain" to remove the ndmp hostnames from the display, then select all

Win Admin GUI is free of charge (if you can somehow find an install pkg/CD in your all-but-no-windows environment, that is) ...

A

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

The Java GUI does not show ANY info whatsoever, just a list of clients & that's it. Unlike the Windows version where you get the basic info on first opening the window.

You can't use the "Select-All" option as that starts to load the properties immediately (as you say). Just clicking on an individual client starts to load immediately.

You would just have to manually select each individual client or group of clients missing those out that you know are NDMP (or the odd client that maybe doesn't load for whatever other reason) - but that'd be a right royal pain if you've got '00's or '000's of clients!

Max_Booth
Level 3

Would it not be easier to run a script to gather this information and then you can simply exclude the NDMP clients from the input to this?

For example, I use the following to gather client version information:

% for host in `bpplclients -allunique -noheader | grep -v NDMP | awk '{print $3}'`
> do
> printf "Version Check on $host: "
> bpclntcmd -get_remote_host_version $host
> done
Version Check on client1: 6.0
Version Check on client2: 6.0
Version Check on client3: 7.0 

Just a thought..

/max

thesanman
Level 6

VMware "clients" don't show up; I can see the logic as to why NDMP shouldn't either.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Only clients that are in a policy will appear in the client properties list.

thesanman
Level 6

VMware "clients" are listed as clients for the policy.  Just like NDMP hosts are listed as a "client" in an NDMP policy.

BrettRabe
Level 3

As far as I can tell (from the responses and my own poking around), a solution similar to what Max suggests is the easiest thing to do. I created a similar script to his to accomplish what I need; problem more or less solved.

I still think Symantec ought to either allow you to establish filters, or just plain filter out NDMP clients from the list on their own, but.... no big deal.