cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove old media server from NDMP host

bordio27
Level 4

Hi to everyone,

I'm trying to remove media server host from EMM, but nbemmcmd gives me an error:

NBEMMCMD, Version: 7.7.3
The function returned the following failure status:
the media is allocated for use (199)
Command did not complete successfully.

So I did nbemmcmd -listhost and I figured out that the host is a media server whose credentials was added to an NDMP host.

If I try to change settings of NDMP host, I'm not able to remove any server ("Global NDMP credentials" is set)

I have not access to the old media server anymore, so I cannot use tpconfig to remove credentials.

Is there a way to remove credentials of an unavailable server from NDMP host?

Many thanks in advance

Db

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
My idea was to run the 'list_ref' before running 'deletehost' to see what else is referenced.
Your opening post made it sound like ndmp was the only remaining reference to this media server.

Which command did you run when you received the ' media is allocated for use' error?

If you are trying to decommission this media server, please share the steps you have followed?

I believe that nbdecommission -oldserver .... -newserver .... works in 99.999% of situations.

View solution in original post

While running nbdecommission utility do ensure you go through the below technote and if you are running on any version older than nbu 8.0 then download the respective nbdecommission utility from the technote and then use it.. the defect in nbdecommission may remove all ost credentials

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000100482

If you recently expired any images for the media server you are trying to delete you may need to verify that there are no pending images for image cleanup.. run the below command to verify if there are any images referencing this media server for the next image cleanup job to remove
“nbdelete -list -tar”

Also verify if any older SLP versions are pointing to this media server or the media servers stu - “nbstl -all_versions -L”

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6

Have you tried to run 'nbdecommission -list_ref -oldserver <media-server>' to see all references to the media server?

What happens when you run ' nbemmcmd-deletehost -machinename <media-server> -machinetype ndmp '?

I tried:

nbemmcmd -deletehost -machinename server11 -machinetype ndmp

Result:

NBEMMCMD, Version: 7.7.3
Command completed successfully.

After that, I tried:

nbdecommission -list_ref -oldserver server11

I got :

Server server11 is a media server

Server server11 is a member of the following media sharing groups:
UNRESTRICTED_SHARING_GROUP

Maybe I need to... remove server from UNRESTRICTED_SHARING_GROUP? How can I do that?

Db

Marianne
Level 6
My idea was to run the 'list_ref' before running 'deletehost' to see what else is referenced.
Your opening post made it sound like ndmp was the only remaining reference to this media server.

Which command did you run when you received the ' media is allocated for use' error?

If you are trying to decommission this media server, please share the steps you have followed?

I believe that nbdecommission -oldserver .... -newserver .... works in 99.999% of situations.

While running nbdecommission utility do ensure you go through the below technote and if you are running on any version older than nbu 8.0 then download the respective nbdecommission utility from the technote and then use it.. the defect in nbdecommission may remove all ost credentials

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000100482

If you recently expired any images for the media server you are trying to delete you may need to verify that there are no pending images for image cleanup.. run the below command to verify if there are any images referencing this media server for the next image cleanup job to remove
“nbdelete -list -tar”

Also verify if any older SLP versions are pointing to this media server or the media servers stu - “nbstl -all_versions -L”

It's been a long time since my last post, sorry.

In the meanwhile we upgraded NetBackup to 8.1.1, and the problem about the unwanted media server entry was solved once ran the nbdecommission utility

Thanks to both of you for the help