cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing and old media server after it was not decommissioned properly

Flappyhead
Level 4
Hello NetBackup Guru's

We had a Unix media server in our environment that was turned off and removed before being decommissioned properly. Now, our NetBackup Administration Console is very slow because NetBackup is always looking for this server (named DPXSCH2). I know this is the reason, because in the NBCONSOLE logs, the following entry keeps coming up over and over when trying to open the NetBackup console...
hosts_equal: gethostbyname failed for dpxsch2: The requested name is valid, but no data of the r (0)

There are missing drives for this old media server in the admin console (listed there but listed as missing), and they cannot be deleted. The media server is still listed in devices as well, and when you try to delete it, the following error occurs...
Unable to remove device host dpxsch2 from the Enterprise Media Manager server <master>: The EMM server failed to process the request(78)

You can also still see the media server when you run nbemmcmd -listhosts command. I have tried to delete the media server with the command...

nbemmcmd -deletehost -machinename dpxsch2 -machinetype media

... but I get the error...
NBEMMCMD, Version:6.5.3
The function returned the following failure status:
generic EMM SQL error (193)
Command did not complete successfully.

Our environment is
NetBackup 6.5.3
Windows 2003 master server
4 x Windows 2003 media servers
1 x AIX master server

My question: Does anyone know how to remove a media server out of the configuration after the server is gone?

-Richard Harvey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sys Admin folks just powered off a media server and decommissioned it without notifying me and I was left with device config I couldnt get rid of from the Admin Console.

My scenario was all media had been removed and it was just robot and tape drives to be removed. (SSO environment)
So here was my solution as taken from the http://support.veritas.com/docs/317931 technote.

To manipulate the global device database use vmglob

Gets all robots, device names, serial numbers, host names

# vmglob -listall -b

Remove drives:

# vmglob -delete -drive -drvtype <drive_type> -serial <drive_serial_number> -name <tape_device_name> -devhost <decomissioned_server_hostname>

Remove robots:

# vmglob -delete -robot -serial <robot_serial_number> -robnum <robot_number> -devhost <decomissioned_server_hostname>

Remove Storage Units:

Use the Admin console or bpstudel command

Remove Device Host:
Finally removed the device host using Admin Console and under Media Server view or the nbemmcmd command

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm sure I've read a technote article, about this or something similar.

Be cautious with this, but have a think about this idea...

Edit the master servers hosts file and add an entry for the rogue media server

127.0.0.1 dpxsch2

(Make sure your master is somehow set to read hosts then dns.
In Unix this is sometime in nsswitch file.)

Now try removing it.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I had the same issue and they had me run a command that pretty much removed all reference to that media server from the database.

I regret that I did not write that command down. and would suggest they give it to you just to make sure it is done correctly.

Stumpr2
Level 6
I know a technote exists that covers this subject but I could not find it. Perhaps a more persistent searcher would prevail.

In the meantime perhaps this one may help you?
Unable to use "nbemmcmd" command to decommission a media server that failed with error message: "cannot delete assigned volume (92)".
http://support.veritas.com/docs/317931

Amit_Karia
Level 6
I think you are reffering to following command

nbemmcmd -deletemerge -assignedhost NONE -mediaid <mediaid>

and then

nbemmcmd -listmedia -mergetable

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sys Admin folks just powered off a media server and decommissioned it without notifying me and I was left with device config I couldnt get rid of from the Admin Console.

My scenario was all media had been removed and it was just robot and tape drives to be removed. (SSO environment)
So here was my solution as taken from the http://support.veritas.com/docs/317931 technote.

To manipulate the global device database use vmglob

Gets all robots, device names, serial numbers, host names

# vmglob -listall -b

Remove drives:

# vmglob -delete -drive -drvtype <drive_type> -serial <drive_serial_number> -name <tape_device_name> -devhost <decomissioned_server_hostname>

Remove robots:

# vmglob -delete -robot -serial <robot_serial_number> -robnum <robot_number> -devhost <decomissioned_server_hostname>

Remove Storage Units:

Use the Admin console or bpstudel command

Remove Device Host:
Finally removed the device host using Admin Console and under Media Server view or the nbemmcmd command