Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing drives from NBU and what to look for in ACSLS

C_J_Hund
Level 4
Certified
Hi all,

I support NBU in an environment which shares our STK library with another application.  I'm being asked to hand over four of the NBU drives to this other application, and want to make sure I understand this process correctly.  It looks too simple from my end.    :)

I've identified the four drives I'm giving away in NBU, and I believe getting them out of NBU forever is as simple as deleting the drive in the GUI.  The four drives in question should, I believe, be re-zoned to the solaris box running this other application.  I'm not sure what else I'd need to do on my master server (if anything) other than simply remove the drives from the GUI.

Also, what (if anything) what I look for in ACS to change?  Both NBU and this other application's drives are both defined in ACS on a single ACS server/library.  It doesn't look like I'd need to change anything there, which is what prompted me to ask my fellow NBU admins.

Sincere thanks,
C.J.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi CJ
Maybe best to ask your SUN/Oracle support team for assistance. In all honesty, I am more familiar with ACSLS managing older type Powderhorn libraries and not with SL8500. If I browse through the manual that I have referenced above, it seems that patitioning is more of a physical library split than a logical one (I hope that one of the other ACSLS users will confirm).

If you are familiar with ACSLS you can query the drive locations from the ACSSA> prompt with :
ACSSA> q dr all

If you can see all the drives, there is no partitioning.

The main thing with sharing a single ACSLS controlled robot with other applications is media allocation.
You should have at least different barcode labels/ranges and split them up into scratch pools in ACSLS.
In NetBackup you will add an Inventory_Filter to inventory specific ACS scratch pool only.
You can investigate media ownership in ACSLS as well... Details in the ACSLS Installation, Configuration, and Administration Guide.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Rick_Brown
Level 4
Don't forget the robot control for these 4 tape drives cannot stay the same. This is where things get more complicated.
If you can logically partition your tape library, you'll need to make a new partition with these 4 tape drives and provide a robotic control host to load the drives. Does this make sense?

C_J_Hund
Level 4
Certified
That makes sense.  The tape library is already logically partitioned.  There are 28 drives in the library now.  I own 24, this other applicaiton owns 4.  I'm giving them 4 more for a total of 8. 

How would I go about checking that partition info and/or change it?

Thanks, Rick!

Marianne
Rick,
ACSLS cannot be partitioned. It is classified as an API robot. There's a separate server controlling the robotics. NBU (& other apps) communicates with this server via the network.

CJ, you are correct - simply delete the tape drives from NBU. The assumption is that all media servers will still see some tape drives, just less? Don't forget to change number of tape drives in Storage Units.
No action required in ACSLS - there is no drive assignment to hosts.

Once re-zoning is complete, it might be a good idea to delete drives and rescan at O/S level, followed by a rescan in NBU just to be 100% sure.

Rick_Brown
Level 4
The partition is created in the library. You need to add the 4 tape drives you've removed (and unzoned) from NBU (partition 1 for example) and assign them to partition 2. These 4 tape drives would need to be zoned to the new Robotic control host (server) that uses partition 2.
The 4  new tape drives for your "other application" should show up in the application servers OS - it sounds like you already have a robot configured for this partition.
Deleting the drives for NBU is easy, but I'd verify with vmglob -listall to see what shows up.

Marianne

CJ, Please confirm what model STK library is controlled by ACSLS? I believe 'newer' models such as SL8500 can be partitioned.

If SL8500, see 'Best Practice Guide': http://dlc.sun.com/pdf/TM0017C/TM0017C.pdf

C_J_Hund
Level 4
Certified

Hi Marianne,

Yes, the STK is a SL8500 and it is controlled by ACSLS.

I'm a lot more familiar with IBM libraries.  If it were a IBM 3584, I'd likely have to go in and move the drives from one logical partition to another.  That's sort of what I was assuming I'd have to do here, but I've never accessed this STK through a GUI.

Would output from a vmglob command help?

Sincere thanks,
C.J.

Rick_Brown
Level 4
output from vmglob -listall | grep <servername> | <drivename> will show you the what's configured in EMM.
Just a way to confirm the drives are indeed gone - that's all.
I have an IBM TS3500 (like you're used to dealing with). You said the library was partitioned & being setup "partitioned" one would need to move the drives from 1 partition to the other in some fashion. I've never used an STK 8500 and cannot say for sure how you move the drives about.
Deleting the drives from NBU is easy, however making sure they'll work correctly in the other system is focus.
Moving them in the partition is the key as I understand it.

C_J_Hund
Level 4
Certified

Do you know how to check that partioning information on the ACS command line?

Marianne

Hi CJ
Maybe best to ask your SUN/Oracle support team for assistance. In all honesty, I am more familiar with ACSLS managing older type Powderhorn libraries and not with SL8500. If I browse through the manual that I have referenced above, it seems that patitioning is more of a physical library split than a logical one (I hope that one of the other ACSLS users will confirm).

If you are familiar with ACSLS you can query the drive locations from the ACSSA> prompt with :
ACSSA> q dr all

If you can see all the drives, there is no partitioning.

The main thing with sharing a single ACSLS controlled robot with other applications is media allocation.
You should have at least different barcode labels/ranges and split them up into scratch pools in ACSLS.
In NetBackup you will add an Inventory_Filter to inventory specific ACS scratch pool only.
You can investigate media ownership in ACSLS as well... Details in the ACSLS Installation, Configuration, and Administration Guide.

C_J_Hund
Level 4
Certified
I can see all the drives, so there must not be any partitioning.  Thanks for all your help!

C.J.