Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing foreign media servers from EMM

nagavp
Level 4
Certified

Hi,

We have around 10 foregin media servers which we need to delete. The issue here is both media server and foreign media server names are same. 

For eg:-

nbemmcmd -listh command gives output like below.

Master master1

media media1

media media2

media media3

foreign_media media1.domain.com

foreign_media media2.domain.com

We are in NBU 7.6.0.3. NBU is in SF...

Can  someone help me  on this....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Was there any sort of catalog manipulation or migration that would have moved image headers into this environment as that would have kept the old media server name attached to those tapes/images.

I doubt an nbemmcmd -deletehost would work at this point since there is still media associated wtih those names.  

You could probably do an nbdecommission with the oldserver newserver options to mark media owned by the foreign media server to its equivelent current server.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Is media1.domain.com an alias for media1?

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Was there any sort of catalog manipulation or migration that would have moved image headers into this environment as that would have kept the old media server name attached to those tapes/images.

I doubt an nbemmcmd -deletehost would work at this point since there is still media associated wtih those names.  

You could probably do an nbdecommission with the oldserver newserver options to mark media owned by the foreign media server to its equivelent current server.

nagavp
Level 4
Certified

Hi Marianne,

Sorry for the delay in respone.. Yes, media1.domain.com an alias for media1 aswell. 

Hi Mnolan,

Yes, we merged almost 20 domains into one domain where we have lot of foreign media servers... all the media server has valid images and i am not sure how to decomm the foreign media servers which has the same name of media server.

Marianne

... Yes, we merged almost 20 domains into one domain....

How was the merge done?

Proper consulting engagement by a trained Catman Consulting partner?  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385

Migration by non-certified person is not supported and is probably the reason for EMM entries in a mess... 

If NBU media servers were properly added to EMM database with aliases for short and FQDN, then the FQDN will not appear as 'foreign'.

The person(s) responsible for the merge will need to engage with Catman Team to fix this.
Catman documentation (only trained consultants have this documentation) describes how to deal with 'foreign' entries.

nagavp
Level 4
Certified

I am late, but i just want to update here that the merging was done by PS team only. 

Marianne
I stand by my previous post. The consultant who performed the migration must fix it.