cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename Client

Seth_E
Level 6

Hi there,

We have a client that was recently added to netbackup and has been backed up with no problem for 2 weeks so far. I've been asked to change the clients hostname in windows, however, how do I go about doing this in netbackup?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You should just be able to change the client to the new hostname and modify your policies to reflect this change.

Issue will be for restores. You will want to make sure you do a alternate location restore to the new name. If you have been doing system state backups though, this will not be possibler as the client has "changed"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You should just be able to change the client to the new hostname and modify your policies to reflect this change.

Issue will be for restores. You will want to make sure you do a alternate location restore to the new name. If you have been doing system state backups though, this will not be possibler as the client has "changed"

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified

Unix:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO33314

Windows:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/change-client-hostname

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Realy easy  - i am assuming from your signature you are using windows:

HKLM\Software\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config

Edit the Browser and ClientName keys

Then do a bpdown - then re-start Symantec Private Branch Exchange Service - then bpup - all done, just remember to change it in the policy too

Seth_E
Level 6

This was the easiest solution as I did not want to run bpdown. Thanks!

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

OK - but you may find private branch exchange binds to the old name and can cause issues until it has been re-started (which would also re-start the client service anyway)