cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming Netbackup BasicDisk Storage Units?

AdN
Level 4

Hi,

Is it possible to rename BasicDisk storage units? They have the media server hostname in the name and I would like to mount them with NFS from another media server. I haven't found a reference for it. Not in the docs, not in Java or Web UI or commandline /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpstu*.

I guess one has to make new storage units, change the policies and then wait until the old ones drain out according to retention schedule.

Regards,

Bernd

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @AdN 

So you are not really wanting to change the name of the storage unit, but the location of the storage itself - as @StefanosM has indicated, it is simple enough to copy an existing STU and change the name - but you don't want to do that. 

You need to remember that for basic disk storage units, the path to the backup is stored in the catalog. This mean if you want to move the storage to a location on another server and mount that storage back on the original meia server - as long as the path remains the same (and permissions allow you to write), you should be fine. 

A simpler solution might be to create a new basic disk STU on the media server after making the necessary mount and leave the original STU alone until all backups have expired (then you can delete the STU). Update you policies (and SLPs) with the name of the new STU you created.

David

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

you can not rename a storage unit.
but you can "copy to new" the existing storage unit and change the name. Then you must change the storage unit in the SLPs and policies.

You can delete a storage unit if it is not configured in an SLP or policy. It does not matter if the backups taken with this storage unit expired or not

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @AdN 

So you are not really wanting to change the name of the storage unit, but the location of the storage itself - as @StefanosM has indicated, it is simple enough to copy an existing STU and change the name - but you don't want to do that. 

You need to remember that for basic disk storage units, the path to the backup is stored in the catalog. This mean if you want to move the storage to a location on another server and mount that storage back on the original meia server - as long as the path remains the same (and permissions allow you to write), you should be fine. 

A simpler solution might be to create a new basic disk STU on the media server after making the necessary mount and leave the original STU alone until all backups have expired (then you can delete the STU). Update you policies (and SLPs) with the name of the new STU you created.

David

Thanks. I'll create a new storage unit and wait until the other one drains out.