cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming client to client.subdomain.domain.com

Charles_Morra1
Level 3
I'm doing a fairly new implementation of NetBackup. Initially, I added the first batch of clients with their short name "client". The backup server was also named "backuphost".

The clients' and backup server's FQDN was hostname.subdomain.domain.com

After a while, the backup server was moved, so it's full name was backuphost.othersubdomain.domain.com.

The original clients were still at client.subdomain.domain.com.

It took a while to sort this, I had to point all clients to "backuphost.othersubdomain.domain.com", but all seems to work ok.

As I added new clients, I made sure always to use FQDN.

However I still have the half-dozen or so clients called "client".

I'd like to rename these clients to their FQDN. Although this isn't too hard, I'd like to preserve their existing catalog so I can make restores without having to re-rename so to speak.

Is this possible? I noticed that each client is stored as a db\images\
could I just rename to and at the same time rename the folders in db\images.?
2 REPLIES 2

Stumpr2
Level 6
Here is a technote describing the actions:
The name of a VERITAS NetBackup client has been changed and it cannot browse backup images written under the previous name for a restore
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/241717.htm

Details:
This problem can be resolved by simply renaming the old client directory in the NetBackup database to reflect the new client name. It is advisable to create a NetBackup catalog backup before attempting this procedure to minimize the risk of problems. The backup images for each individual client can be found in /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images// on the NetBackup master server.

For example, if the old client name is OLD and the new client name is NEW:

mv /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/OLD /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/NEW

If backups have already been performed using the new client name, the new directory will already exist. If this is the case, all subdirectories in the old directory need to be recursively copied to the new client directory while maintaining the original file permissions.

Again, for example, if the old client name is OLD and the new client name is NEW:

cp -pR /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/OLD/* /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/NEW

NOTE: The commands used in these examples are based on the UNIX operating system and may need to be revised according the target platform and this procedure should be carried out with care to prevent serious database inconsistencies occurring in the event of a mistakeMessage was edited by:
Bob Stump

Charles_Morra1
Level 3
Thanks Bob, this works like a charm.