Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeated drive failures and backup highlighting 2009

1501SV
Level 4
Partner

hi experts,

In my environment with NBU 7.6.0.1, master on a VM, with 2 media servers ( 1 RHEL and 1 Windows) i have configured a SSO option. But i see repeated drive failures while trying to duplicate my disk backups to tapes using SLP's.

tape drive connectivity - Have 2 tape drivese which are SAN connected to both media servers. we installed SSO licenses

Problem - after configuring the backups, we are able to fire some test backups, but after using 1-2 tapes while trying to load the new tape we are facing issues. error code we see - 1: (2009) All compatible drive paths are down but media is available

PS - we have implemented this in 2 different setups, but getting the same problem in both.

I would like to take some suggestions or a solution which someone might have faced similar to my issue.

thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If drives are constantly going down, you first of all need to find the reason.

Deleting and re-discovering devices will fix device mapping issues, but not underlying hardware or driver or OS/device comms issues.

NetBackup needs the OS for I/O and device comms.
Therefore all troubleshooting should start at OS level.

Check Linux /var/log/messages file for hardware issues and Windows Event Viewer System logs.

To see why drives are being Down'ed, add VERBOSE entry to vm.conf on all media servers.
/usr/openv/volmgr/vm.conf on Linux server 
....\Veritas\volmgr\vm.conf on Windows server 
followed by restart of NBU after adding this entry.

Exact reason for drives going DOWN will be logged to Linux /var/log/messages file and Windows Event Viewer Application log.

Create bptm log folder under netbackup/logs on all media servers to trace I/O errors from NBU point of view.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

1501SV
Level 4
Partner

also want to inform you...

we tried symantec tech notes, below steps as well

1. Deleted the exisiting configuration

2. Restarted the services

3. Did configuration of the tape drives again.

even this did not help us the the problems are repeating after sometime

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

TECH177880 refers to what your experencing. It sounds like you did the solution it recomends, but just curious, how did you delete the existing configuration? You mentioned SSO, is the issue happening on all media servers, or just the host media server? When you removed the configuration did you remove the drives from all media servers? 

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If drives are constantly going down, you first of all need to find the reason.

Deleting and re-discovering devices will fix device mapping issues, but not underlying hardware or driver or OS/device comms issues.

NetBackup needs the OS for I/O and device comms.
Therefore all troubleshooting should start at OS level.

Check Linux /var/log/messages file for hardware issues and Windows Event Viewer System logs.

To see why drives are being Down'ed, add VERBOSE entry to vm.conf on all media servers.
/usr/openv/volmgr/vm.conf on Linux server 
....\Veritas\volmgr\vm.conf on Windows server 
followed by restart of NBU after adding this entry.

Exact reason for drives going DOWN will be logged to Linux /var/log/messages file and Windows Event Viewer Application log.

Create bptm log folder under netbackup/logs on all media servers to trace I/O errors from NBU point of view.