Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace MSDP server keeping storage!

heinkel
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

Have anyone replaced a Windows mediaserver that is doing MSDP, with new hardware?

We have a Windows 2012 mediaserver with local attached MSDP storage, 32 TB, and want to replace the hardware without replacing MSDP storage. And of course we want to keep all backups available for restore and new backups.

Have anyone actually done this? What is the procedure?

I can think of a couple of issues.

One is to replace node, connect storage, and then do import. This is bad. Takes way too long time.

Another one is that when doing a new installation of NBU on the new "head", and then configure storage server, it should be possible to reuse the storage and data that is there. I will assume that the disks new mediaID is changed during the new config of Storage Server, and that the tricky part is to change it back to the original mediaID.

Anyone done this before?

1 REPLY 1

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Would use the procedure the dedup admin guide called replace storage server

It contains an import, but it was fast pretty fast even when I did it on a test system with very slow disk.

Don't think you can reuse the data without an import, and pretty sure it will not be supported by Veritas

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue