cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing VMware Backup host

perez_cmz
Level 6

I'm having an issue when changing the VMware backup host for one of our policies. This policy backs up vm's in our DMZ, and uses our vCenter server as the VMware backup host.

We have a new vCenter server and want to use it in these policies, but are getting status error 58 when we change the VMware backup host to our new vCenter.

Not sure if this makes a difference, but I'll mention our new vCenter is an "appliance" and our old one was an actual vm.

I've attached the job details from the failed jobs. "backup_media_server_090617.txt" is when I changed the VMware backup host to use "Backup Media server".

As always, any help is greatly appreciated

3 REPLIES 3

eduncan
Level 5
Employee

Do you have a NetBackup Client or Media Server installed on the vCenter appliance?

I am pretty sure that installing NetBackup on a vCenter appliance is not supported, but depending on what the underline OS is on the vCenter appliance you might be able to get it to work.  However the fact that it is not supported means that when something goes wrong you are on your own.

We have neither installed on the vCenter appliance; never attempted to.

The OS of the vCenter appliance is SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 (64 bit)

Is there documentation stating a vCenter appliance is not supported ?

This won't be documented.  We document what we do support, and the vCenter appliance is not listed.  Even though SLES maybe in the background somewhere, the nature of an appliance is to strip down several operations and only run with what is needed.  For example, on a vCenter 6.5 appliance it doesn't even show itself as a SLES or supported linux OS:

# cat /etc/*eleas*
DISTRIB_ID="VMware Photon"
DISTRIB_RELEASE="1.0"
DISTRIB_CODENAME=Photon
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="VMware Photon 1.0"
NAME="VMware Photon"
VERSION="1.0"
ID=photon
VERSION_ID=1.0
PRETTY_NAME="VMware Photon/Linux"
ANSI_COLOR="1;34"
HOME_URL="https://vmware.github.io/photon/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://github.com/vmware/photon/issues"
VMware Photon Linux 1.0
PHOTON_BUILD_NUMBER=13c08b6

As this hasn't been tested, it is not supported.  Work with your sales person or BCAM to see if they can get a support exception.