cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing Windows Master with new Hardware?

Stanleyj
Level 6

My windows master servers hardware lease is up and its time to replace.  I'm currently running windows server 2008 R2 and NBU 7.7.2 with NBU being installed to an attached E:\Program Files\Veritas drive.

Im upgrading the OS to 2012 R2, keeping same server name and IP, but was wondering if its possible to Install NBU to a "dummy" E:\ for lack of better words and then remove it and attached the E:\ from the older hardware and everything start.

If this isnt possible thats fine was just going to get some thoughts and also if anyone has a much better method I'm game for that as well.  

Thanks. 

2 REPLIES 2

D_Flood
Level 6

Here's the KB for a Windows "Hardware Refresh".

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000041076

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Your plan sounds good and will save the time to perform full catalog recovery. What I am not sure about is if NBU binaries for W2008 and W2012 are 100% identical. Think about it, if they were, would Symantec not announce support for 2012 a lot sooner? Best would be if only image db was on the SAN drive... So, no harm in trying with the E-drive from the old server, but prepare and include timing for plan B as per migration TN. Let us know!