cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing barcode labels on LTO-2 tapes

Lylex
Level 3

Some of our LTO-2 barcode labels were originally attached to the cartridges with an orientation opposite to rest (85%) of our tapes, and some have the numbers printed vertically instead of horizontally.  The StorageTek L180 can read them just fine, of course, but it makes it hard to scan down the bins looking for a particular tape.  And every once and a while we slip up and load the tape in the library upside down, I think because of the odd label orientation.

I'm thinking of getting some new labels printed for these oddballs, using the same numbers.  Carefully relabeling with the same numbers doesn't seem like it should affect things, even if they are in active pools.  But I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

Also, it seems like reasonably priced labels are available in sheets of 20 consecutive numbers.  Many of the tapes I want to relabel are in sequence.  But for the few individual numbers not in a sequence, I'm assuming Netbackup allows me to "evacuate" a tape so I can reuse the cartridge with a new label number?

Netbackup 7.5.0.3 running on Solaris 10.

Thanks....Lyle

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

If you replace the old barcode label, with a new right oriented barcode label with same number you should be good.

As you mention yourself -  this has to be careful planned. A change in number will mean it's a new tape to  Netbackup and almost garantie the tape to be overwritten or frozen (netbackup would say "hey - scratch tape, I am using that one for the next backup").

Maybe it would be good to track, when and by whom what tape had the barcode replaced in a event of issues.

Please dont assume anyting when it comes to data relibality. Netbackup may let you down wink

View solution in original post

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Same numbers should not be a problem - as long as the robot reports the exact same barcode to NBU.

I'm assuming Netbackup allows me to "evacuate" a tape so I can reuse the cartridge with a new label number?

'Evacuate' will need duplication to new media id, followed by expiration of original media id.

Once you have replaced the label, you will have re-label in NBU to overwrite media header. Remember to de-select the 'verify media label' option.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

It would freeze the tape if the label was different to the logical label on tape header. It would detect the different and thus freeze rather than overwrite.

5 REPLIES 5

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

i think new lable(change in code) always considered as a New tape..

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

If you replace the old barcode label, with a new right oriented barcode label with same number you should be good.

As you mention yourself -  this has to be careful planned. A change in number will mean it's a new tape to  Netbackup and almost garantie the tape to be overwritten or frozen (netbackup would say "hey - scratch tape, I am using that one for the next backup").

Maybe it would be good to track, when and by whom what tape had the barcode replaced in a event of issues.

Please dont assume anyting when it comes to data relibality. Netbackup may let you down wink

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Same numbers should not be a problem - as long as the robot reports the exact same barcode to NBU.

I'm assuming Netbackup allows me to "evacuate" a tape so I can reuse the cartridge with a new label number?

'Evacuate' will need duplication to new media id, followed by expiration of original media id.

Once you have replaced the label, you will have re-label in NBU to overwrite media header. Remember to de-select the 'verify media label' option.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

It would freeze the tape if the label was different to the logical label on tape header. It would detect the different and thus freeze rather than overwrite.

Lylex
Level 3

Thanks, all.  Good suggestions....Lyle