cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing the media manager host in a robot

perez_cmz
Level 6

We're in the process of implementing new 7.5 media servers; replacing existing 6.5 media servers. I need to remove any implementation of the existing 6.5 media servers.

Storage servers, storage units, storage unit groups and SLP's have been replaced/updated with the new media server information.

I'd like to now implement the new media servers as the new media manager hosts for the existing "robots"

In looking to minimize any interuption to backup jobs, should I create new robots with the new media server information or update the existing robots ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can we assume that master server was upgraded to 7.5 and patched?
Only media servers still on 6.5?
New hostnames for 7.5 media servers?

If above is true, here is how I would approach the migration:

• Deactivate all 6.5 media servers
  • Delete all devices associated with 6.5 media servers
  • Delete all STUs for above media servers
  • Ensure forward and reverse hostname lookup between new media servers and clients
  • Add SERVER entries on master and all clients for new media servers
  • Ensure devices can be seen at OS level on new media servers
  • Install and patch NBU 7.5 on new media servers
  • Run Device Config Wizard on new robot control host
  • Run Device Config Wizard again, selecting robot control host and rest of media servers
  • Inventory robot (check that Barcode Rules, Media Generation, etc are in place)
  • Create STUs for new media servers, check properties such as MPX, no of drives, fragment, etc
  • Update policies with new STUs
  • Test backups
  • Run nbdecommission for each old media server to transfer media and image ownership
  • Test restores from old backups

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

1)are you planning to upgrade 6.5 to 7.5?

2)is ur master server already with NBU 7.5 and media server is 6.5?

3)wat is the NEW media server OS?Plz check the compatability..

4)which library?

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Does the Tape library is the same for Old and New meida servers?

even if it is same or new library follow below...

1) install the New Media server

2) zone the tape Drives and configure in new media server

3) update the storage servers with New media servers if any

4) configure disk storage units if Any..

5) test the backups & restore on new media servers for both Disk and tape with test policy.

6)Create a SLP for the New media server

7) start moving the all the poliices from OLD SLP & storage units to New SLP and storage units

8) Make sure all Policies are moving to New media servers..

9) follow the Media server Decomm porcess to remove OLD media server STU, SLPs.. etc..

Marianne

Can we assume that master server was upgraded to 7.5 and patched?
Only media servers still on 6.5?
New hostnames for 7.5 media servers?

If above is true, here is how I would approach the migration:

• Deactivate all 6.5 media servers
  • Delete all devices associated with 6.5 media servers
  • Ensure forward and reverse hostname lookup between new media servers and clients
  • Add SERVER entries on master and all clients for new media servers
  • Install and patch NBU 7.5 on new media servers
  • Run Device Config Wizard again, selecting robot control host and rest of media servers
  • Inventory robot (check that Barcode Rules, Media Generation, etc are in place)
  • Create STUs for new media servers, check properties such as MPX, no of drives, fragment, etc
  • Test backups
  • Run nbdecommission for each old media server to transfer media and image ownership

Hope this helps.

perez_cmz
Level 6

1) 6.5 media servers are being replaced with new 7.5 media servers

2) Master server is already at 7.5

3) The OS for the new media servers is RedHat Enterprise Linux 6.3

4) IBM TS3500 tape libraries

perez_cmz
Level 6

Master server is on 7.5. Old media servers are on 6.5 and will be replaced with new 7.5 media servers with new hostnames.

• Deactivate all 6.5 media servers - Currently still being used, along with new media servers.
    • Delete all devices associated with 6.5 media servers - Devices were updated with new media server info
    • Delete all STUs for above media servers - New STU's were created and on standby to be implemented along with new SLP's
    • Ensure forward and reverse hostname lookup between new media servers and clients - Done
    • Add SERVER entries on master and all clients for new media servers - Done
    • Ensure devices can be seen at OS level on new media servers - Done
    • Install and patch NBU 7.5 on new media servers - Done
    • Run Device Config Wizard on new robot control host - Done
    • Run Device Config Wizard again, selecting robot control host and rest of media servers - Done
    • Inventory robot (check that Barcode Rules, Media Generation, etc are in place) - Done
    • Create STUs for new media servers, check properties such as MPX, no of drives, fragment, etc - Done
    • Update policies with new STUs - Waiting to fully implement the new media servers. Tested successful backup with test policy using new STU and SLP.
    • Test backups - Done
    • Run nbdecommission for each old media server to transfer media and image ownership - Will this command replace the media manager for the robot as well ?
    • Test restores from old backups - Will do

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

nbdecomission removes old media server entries in the EMM DB.

Usage:
nbdecommission -oldserver <hostname>
[-list_ref | -newserver <hostname> [-file <op_dump_file>]]
[-M <hostname>] [-v]

RadovanTuran
Level 4

nbdecommission will not replace robot configuration by new media server.

Just zone robot control device and tapes to new media server. Configure it as new robot (GUI/tpconfig). Configure new drives within this robot. You can create STU too. But DONT USE IT YET. Don't run inventory.

Check by robtest connection with robot. If it's fine deactivate old media server (assume ownership of all images is transferred).

Run inventory (will full update) on the nw robot. The tapes should be "moved to standalone positions" and then "move to slot number XXX".

Good luck.

Guys, am I right? I done it only once years ago.

Marianne
  • Run nbdecommission for each old media server to transfer media and image ownership -Will this command replace the media manager for the robot as well ?

No - that is why I suggested that devices be deleted for old control host and then to run device config on new robot control host, then rest of media servers so that robot control host will be updated for all media server config.

RW126305
Level 2

Marianne, This is my first post.  Be gentle.  

I have a BAR environment with a master and four media servers.  The equipment is in a datacenter where the library is shared between customers using the data center.  The managers of the DC are replacing the ACSLS Host used by Netbackup.  The new ACSLS host is configured to operate the same, the name and IP are chaning.

What are my options for chaning or replacing the ACSLS host in Netbackup?

RW126305
Level 2

Sounds like I need to do the following... 

• Delete all devices associated with media servers
  • Test backups

Marianne

I have moved your post to a new discussion as it does not seem to be related to this discussion.

Please post here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/replace-acsls-host-netbackup

perez_cmz
Level 6

I still have some questions.

- What is the cleanest way to delete devices associated with a media server going to be decomissioned ?

- How do I run device config on the new robot control host ?

- Do I need to run device config on all the new media servers during this process ?