cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replicated image retention

bcsupport
Level 4

I have now setup images to be replicated from one master server to another using A.I.R.  My question is about setting the retention level on the image.  On the source master I have a retention level of 1 week on the backup and replicated that out with a retention level of 1 week.  Can I import that image into the target server with a retention of 1 week on disk and duplicate out to tape and have a different retention level(2 years)?  

The issue is that I want to backup this image but not keep it on disk and retain it on tape for 2 years, is this possible or does the original backup have to be 2 years?

A year from now would I be able to restore the image?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

each master and each backup copy have its own retention.
at your example the initial backup on the source master and the replicated backup on the target master will expire after a wee. Only the second copy of the target master will remain for two years.
After a year, you can start the restore only from the target master.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

StefanosM
Level 6

yes you can.

Just create a duplication to tape step with two years retention in the import SLP on the target master

bcsupport
Level 4

Sorry I am kinda new to the backup game.   Would the source master be able to restore or would it now need to be restored from the target master?  Wouldn't the catalog see it as expired on the source master?

StefanosM
Level 6

each master and each backup copy have its own retention.
at your example the initial backup on the source master and the replicated backup on the target master will expire after a wee. Only the second copy of the target master will remain for two years.
After a year, you can start the restore only from the target master.

bcsupport
Level 4

Thank you sir for all of your help.