cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replicating NBU Catalog to DR Node/Environment

Vince_Corona
Level 4
Anyone out there have any tips on how to replicate the NBU Catalog to a different host for DR purposes? Yes we do catalog tape backups using a Vault policy, however, I would like to automate the catalog to be copied to a different host at our DR site so that I don't need to monkey with tape to get the NBU environment up.

Thanks for any responses.
5 REPLIES 5

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
> I would like to automate the catalog to be
> copied to a different host at our DR site so that I
> don't need to monkey with tape to get the NBU
> environment up.

Vince, the different host at DR site has a same hostname?
What version of NBU?

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
The following document (chapters of catalog configuration & recovery) may help.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/279295.htm

For NBU5, if you have remote-sync/replication on the catalog and your DR master server has the same hostname, you can sync/replicate the whole /usr/openv across and mount onto the DR master server and it will work with minimum configuration (mainly on the tape library devices & re-inventory).

Joe_Despres
Level 6
Partner
Use rsync to copy over image data to the DR another system.....
Then use the Recovery without import process.....

Joe

Vince_Corona
Level 4
It's a Microsoft environment. It would be replicated to a different (temporary) hostname that would need to be renamed in the event of a DR. What I am not able to find is a way to run an Online Backup of the catalog to an alternate disk location. Any ideas?

Vince_Corona
Level 4
Has anyone tried this or know of any possible outcomes.

Environment:
Production Master Server Name: Master01
DR Hot Standby Host Name (NBU not installed): DR-Master01

Question:
If I install NBU on DR-Master01, can I configure it so that it's internal name believes that it is Master01 so that in the event of a DR, when I rename DR-Master01 to Master01, NBU will continue to function properly and I can recover my catalog data from Disk. However, my worry is that I don't want the DR host to somehow communicate with the production host after NBU is installed on it and screw up the production DB and EMM (the hosts can see eachother because the WAN is linked).

Why would I want to do this you ask? Well, I would like to configure the DR NBU environment and ensure that it is working properly even before a DR occurs (license keys already added, Storage Units are functional, etc.). That way if we need to DR, all I need to do is rename and import the catalog that is copied nightly from Production.