cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replication Director - NetApp Filers

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have a NBU 7611 environment with Windows Master Server and 5220 appliances, all running well.  We also have a number of NetApp filers, and are looking to manage these with the Replication Director component of NBU.

When testing I noticed that whilst Replication Director functioned perfectly well on one of our filers it gave errors when vaildating the policy for the other filers.  To cut a long story short this turned out to be due to the NetApp NFS license being installed on the filer that worked OK and not being installed on all the other filers (which were failing to validate the policy).

We do not use NFS on the filers, so I don't understand why we should need the NFS license !!  When we added the NFS license to the filers which were failing validation they now work perfectly.  however - we have a number of filers which are not licensed for NFS and we don't want to have to buy the NFS license simply to use Replication Director.

It is an NDMP policy type and works fine as long as the NFS license is installed on the filer.  If the license isn't installed the policy will not validate or run.

Why does Replication Director require NFS on the filer ?

Any ideas ?

AJ 

1 REPLY 1

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi there, I would suspect that this is a NetApp requirment and not a NetBackup requirment.  There is a quite a number of configuration items that have to be done on the filer before even begining to setup RD in NB. Have you verified with NetApp regarding this?