cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report on client MP levels?

Lori_Tvrdik
Level 3
Does anyone know of an easy way to find out what maintenance pack level my Windows clients are at?  It only shows the version in Activity Monitor host properties/clients, and the only way I know of is to log into each individual client to see the MP level.  Major pain when dealing with hundreds of Windows servers!
7 REPLIES 7

Colin_North
Level 6
Lori,
You don't mention which NBU version you are using, but here's where the details are held for these NBU versions:

1) NBU 5.0 - C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Patch\History.log
2) NBU 6.0 - C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\Version.txt

These details are also held in the Windows Registry of course.

Before I upgraded to NBU 6.0 I created a couple of scripts to do the hard work for me. One scanned through a text file containg my client hostnames and checked the contents of the relevant file listed above and dumped the results to a csv file. The 2nd script talked to a container in our AD and checked a couple of values in each of the remote client's registry, and dumped the results to a csv. Hey presto after a few minutes I have all the details.

Maybe there should be somewhere within the Symantec TN where people can upload their scripts for other to use??

Colin.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Colin,
I added your ID to my friends list so that you should be able to see my email address listed on my profile. Will you plese email me the scripts? I would certainly appreciate it.
Thanks,
Bob

Lori_Tvrdik
Level 3
Ah, thank you!  I didn't even think of that.  I had a batch file running on a Windows server using a few years back that did something similar, and ftp'd the results to one of my Solaris servers.  I'm sure I can dig that up and do some modifications.  If you still have your scripts, I'd be interested in seeing them if you don't mind. 

Thanks again!

Colin_North
Level 6
Lori,
If you add me to your friends list on your profile (as Bob did) then I can mail you a copy of the scripts.

Here's some further info on the file locations:

1) NBU 5.0 - C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Patch\History.log (date & time when MP was installed)
2) NBU 5.0 - C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Patch\NB_50_4_M (= Netbackup 5.0 MP4)
3) NBU 5.0 & 6.0 - C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\Version.txt (info on current version)

Colin.

Colin_North
Level 6
Bob,
I've mailed you a copy of both scripts. Enjoy.

Colin.

Lori_Tvrdik
Level 3
Hi Colin,

I've added you as a friend.

Thanks again!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to cover anyone finding this post and wanting a UNIX or cross-platform approach.
Here's my script I run from UNIX master server. And have it formatted to place straight into a Wiki table.

Basically uses whats already in the config of NetBackup - policies and their clients, then query them using bpgetconfig.

Code:
for i in `bppllist -l -allpolicies | grep CLIENT | awk '{print $2}' | sort -u`> do> echo "|-"> printf "%s" $i "||"> bpgetconfig -s $i -l | awk 'BEGIN { FS = ";"} { OFS = "||" } {print $1, $2, $3, $4, $5, $6, $8}'> done

Field Definitions:

$1 Client/Master
    $2 NetBackup Client Platform
    $3 NetBackup Client Protocol Level
    $4 Product
    $5 Version Name
    $6 Version Number
    $8 Client OS/Release

The output is much faster than the Netbackup Admin Console Gui > Host Properties > Clients > (select all) Connect