cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requied Media id not in EMM

IT_guys
Level 4

I find the media when run on inventory , but it doesn't show NBU console in the media directory.  I try to run the bpmedialist , request id not in EMM database, but I can use bpexpdate and vmquery on that media, I try to do robot inventory to scan that media on the slot, but no in NBU console.  May I know if there is DB corrupt  and how to fix it ? 

Thanks 

Alfred

11 REPLIES 11

RB-Infinitely
Level 4

Hi

Media tab in the GUI is a direct reflection of vmquery so its shows in vmquery it has to show in the media section in the gui.

Run the inventory and select "update" not "scan" or show contents"

You can run vmquery for one of the media and post the output here. 

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The output from bpmedialist is perfectly normal when there are no valid images on the tape.

Please show us output from vmquery command as well as the text that is displayed in 'Show Contents' section of Inventory and also text section of 'Update' output in Inventory screen.

Hi All,

I can use the expdate date and media id which is not show on the bpmedialist, I deleted media id on the media console, and run inventory again. Move the media to one volume group and use this group to run backup successfully.   I go ahead to schedule the policy if it running. 

Marianne

I have no idea why you are asking for assistance and then refuse to show us output of commands that may help us to identify your problem.

None of what you describe above is needed under normal circumstances.

Hi ,

Please see below information !

root@imduarbak01 # ./vmquery -m CPC002
================================================================================
media ID: CPC002
media type: 1/2" cartridge tape 3 (24)
barcode: L3CPC002
media description: Added by Media Manager
volume pool: NetBackup (1)
robot type: TLD - Tape Library DLT (8)
robot number: 2
robot slot: 20
robot control host: imduarbak01
volume group: 000_00002_TLD
vault name: ---
vault sent date: ---
vault return date: ---
vault slot: ---
vault session id: ---
vault container id: -
created: Tue Nov 21 12:29:09 2017
assigned: ---
last mounted: ---
first mount: ---
expiration date: ---
number of mounts: 0
max mounts allowed: ---
===============================================================

root@imduarbak01 # ./bpmedialist -m CPC002
requested media id was not found in the EMM database

root@imduarbak01 # ./bpmedialist -m CP0023
requested media id was not found in the EMM database
root@imduarbak01 # cd ../../
root@imduarbak01 # cd ../volmgr/bin
root@imduarbak01 # ./vmquery

root@imduarbak01 # ./vmquery -m CP0023
================================================================================
media ID: CP0023
barcode: L3CP0023
media description: Added by Media Manager
volume pool: 7Sun (15)
robot type: TLD - Tape Library DLT (8)
robot number: 2
robot slot: 35
robot control host: imduarbak01
volume group: 000_00002_TLD
vault name: ---
vault sent date: ---
vault return date: ---
vault slot: ---
vault session id: ---
vault container id: -
created: Tue Nov 21 12:44:48 2017
max mounts allowed: ---
root@imduarbak01 #

Ok so 1 tape is NetBackup pool and the other in the Sun7. What is the problem?

Marianne

You are showing us output for tapes that you have expired, deleted and re-added.

This does not help at all to understand what the problem.
The tapes are now seen as brand new, unassingned, available for backup.

created: Tue Nov 21 12:29:09 2017

Only when a tape is used for backup does it get 'assigned' to the media database. 
That is why bpmedialist gives the error message. 

The error message is actually wrong - these tapes are certainly in EMM database - that is why you can run vmquery on the tape. 

Before EMM was introduced that consolidate databases, there were distictly different databases - media database on each media server for assigned media, and volume database.
These two databases are now tables in EMM on the master.

You can get output from both tables with this command: 

nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid <media-id>

If you can give us output of a tape before you go through all the steps, we may be able to assist to identify what the problem is.

Like I've said - I have never experienced a situation where media rotation needs the steps that you describe here.

Systems_Team
   VIP   

@Marianne - I'm wondering if IT_Guys also has the issue of the tape library being configured to show barcodes right to left instead of left to right, like this problem you and I were recently involved in:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/error-code-252-and-media-id-not-to-found-in-EMM/td-p/839401/pag...

Note the output from his vmquery commands:

media ID: CPC002
barcode: L3CPC002

If I run a vmquery, mine will show the barcode with the Lx at the end as it should be.

Steve

Marianne

@Systems_Team thnks for picking this up!

I wonder if this is the exact same site - @Home_224 and @IT_guys colleagues by any chance?

Instead of fixing the robot config, they now have to jump through hoops to make it work in NBU!

Google found the C4 manual on a 'dodgy' site where one can download manuals 'for free for 30 days', but requires credit card details....  Smiley Surprised

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Potentially you could set the library to display the barcodes in a more recommended way, taht is, all 8 characters, then use vmchange command to 'change' he barcodes of all existing media in NBU and set a suitable mediaid generation rule to ensure the mediaids still appear as they are now.

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Certainly seems that way doesn't it Smiley Very Happy

Yeah I saw the dodgy C4 manual too, wasn't going to pay for that, but I think the manual I found is what they need.

Steve