cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Required media server is offline for tapes

Being_human
Level 4

I have installed new media server in the existing  environment. Installation went smooth.

I added the media server in the master server

Now the issue I'm facing is when I try to assign or change the existing backup to the new media server . I get the below error message

"Required media server is offline for tapes" . the media server is online and I can see the tapes in media server .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Being_human
Level 4

The issue resolved.

Issue is not with firewall or license.

I executed the command to configure the media server "Active for Tape and Disk"

nbemmcmd -updatehost -machinename <mediaserver name> -machinestateop set_tape_active -machinetype media <masterserver name > Netbackup Version(7.1) Operatingsystem windows

Restarted netbackup service in Master server and media server but the issue still didn't fix.

Finally added the media server in netbackup drives (Master Server) under Admin console ->Devices-> Drives

Restarted netbackup service in Master server and media server.

The Issue resolved, now able to schedule backup using media server

:)

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Being_human
Level 4

Master server is running on win 2003 and media server 2008 . netbackup version 7.1 in both the servers.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
What licenses have you installed on the media server? For tape, media server needs Library-based tape drive license. If tape drives are shared, Share Storage Option (SSO ) license as well. Have you configured devices for media server yet? Does media server show up correctly in output of these commands on the master server : nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose nbemmcmd -getemmserver

Being_human
Level 4

I have installed  Library-based tape drive license and Share Storage Option (SSO ) license as well.

Media server is showing after running the commands in master server.

Media server status.

MachineState = active for disk jobs (12)

Being_human
Level 4

I run teh command to  update the Mediaserver state as below

"MachineState = active for tape and disk jobs (14)"

Marianne
Level 6
Everything fine now?

Being_human
Level 4

Nope, still the same.

When I try to take backup using the new media server I get the same error message.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Did you restart NetBackup on the media server after adding the licences?

Also, tape drives have to be configured, i.e. a tape based storage unit, has to be configured for the media server for NetBackup to consider the media server as being capable of 'tape'.

Then it can take around five minutes for the master to recongnize that the media server is capable of tape support.

So the steps are:

1) Add licenses to media server.

2) Restart NetBackup on media server.

3) Configure storage unit for media server (try using the Device Configuration Wizard).

4) The close and re-open the Admin Console.

5) Then wait five minutes.

6) Does teh media server now show as being capable of tape?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

from the master server run 

vmoprcmd 

Does the new media server has a status of active. "Active-disk" indicate no tape

Host Name                                  Version   Host Status
=========================================  =======   ===========
pacman                        760300    ACTIVE-DISK
tetris                        760300    ACTIVE-DISK
outrun                        760300    ACTIVE
megaman                       760300    ACTIVE
breakout                      760300    ACTIVE
frogger                       760300    ACTIVE
kaboom                        760300    ACTIVE-DISK

Being_human
Level 4

1) I added the License

2) Restarted the netbackup service in Media server

3) Configured storage device using Device Configuration wizard

4) Closed teh admin console, waited for 10 mins

5) I can see the media tapes under media server , but when I try to take backup it's coming as ""Required media server is offline for tapes"

sdo

Your reply indicates one license was added.  I would expect either:

a) one license on the media server if you have a capacity complete base edition license (for use on all master and media servers)

...or:

b) a minimum of at least three licenses on the media server, for 'base' NetBackup, plus another for Library Option, plus another for NetBackup SSO.

Please show your license(s) on the media server (but be sure to hide out the actual 'key' strings):

> bpminlicense -list_keys -verbose

Being_human
Level 4

@nicoli

The status of media server and master server is "ACTIVE"

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Let's see the output of vmoprcmd from both the Master and this problematic Media server

sdo

If the status of a NetBackup Server is 'ACTIVE' then this implies that the server is active for both disk and tape.

So, has your problem been resolved?

Pritesh_Pisal
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I suspect check for the OS firewall status on media server.

if it is on then try disabling and check...

Being_human
Level 4

The issue resolved.

Issue is not with firewall or license.

I executed the command to configure the media server "Active for Tape and Disk"

nbemmcmd -updatehost -machinename <mediaserver name> -machinestateop set_tape_active -machinetype media <masterserver name > Netbackup Version(7.1) Operatingsystem windows

Restarted netbackup service in Master server and media server but the issue still didn't fix.

Finally added the media server in netbackup drives (Master Server) under Admin console ->Devices-> Drives

Restarted netbackup service in Master server and media server.

The Issue resolved, now able to schedule backup using media server

:)

Marianne
Level 6
"Finally added the media server in netbackup drives (Master Server) under Admin console ->Devices-> Drives" Curious to know how were trying to run backups to this media server without devices added? Storage Unit for tape can/should only be added after device config. Steps for future reference : 1) Add new media server to master's Server entries and restart NBU 2) Install server software and add correct license keys 3) Confirm comms between master and media server using nbemmcmd commands 4) Confirm devices are visible at OS level 5) Use Device Config wizard on master to add devices and STU for new media server 6) Select new STU in backup policy