cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requirement to evaluate coverage of NDMP device.

jim_dalton
Level 6

Hello All

Ive got a problem in that for my NAS/NDMP device, it cant chat with my master server when it comes to coverage checking. The NAS is clientless.

Hence if I miss something off my NAS backup then I'm likely not going to know about it.

So my primary aim is to be able to do this.

One possible is to use my filer API on host apihost and then combine that with some netbackup commands.

Trouble is , the client install doesnt include the commands I need eg bpplinfo, bppllist and these cmds are not statically linked, so I'm thinking I'll need to install the software as I do for a media server  (this is RH Linux, btw). Then I have access at one point to both Netbackup and to my filer.

Anyone else come across this scenario and have any neat ideas on how to resolve?

NB7.1 under Solaris talking to Netapp 7.x filer.

Regards and thanks in advance,Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Jim

All you can really do is script something

Your filer admin should be able to provide the remote access needed to run a command to list all volumes, run the commands i suggested in my earlier post and then have the results compared

A bit of vbs should do the trick but cant really supply anything without knowing how your filer pipes out the results and I am not a VB wizard i am afraid!

Hope this has given you some ideas though

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
What does it mean? NDMP backup does not support wildcard, NetBackup does not do such operation. Is it allowed to access NDMP port(10000) from your server? Have you checked ndmpagent log on NetBackup server and 'ndmp debug log' on filer?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I assume you are referring to the bpcoverage command?

If so then no, you cannot use it for a filer

All you can do is get the volume list from the filer admin and compare it to your policy lists.

You can run:

bpplclients -allunique -pt NDMP

to list all NDMP clients, followed by

bppllist -byclient ndmpservername -U

to see what is backed up for each client

After that it is just doing a comparison

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
U r right there is no ndmp client u only need to give access to the master or. media so create a special user in your filer and add the master or media, then go the nbu box and connect to with tpautoconf or from the nbu gui go to credentials and add a filer and give the user and password

jim_dalton
Level 6

Thats right MarkSoln. : coverage . I'm trying to centralise and automate , fit and forget te bit that netbackup bpcoverage cant do.

Jim

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Jim

All you can really do is script something

Your filer admin should be able to provide the remote access needed to run a command to list all volumes, run the commands i suggested in my earlier post and then have the results compared

A bit of vbs should do the trick but cant really supply anything without knowing how your filer pipes out the results and I am not a VB wizard i am afraid!

Hope this has given you some ideas though

jim_dalton
Level 6

It confirms that I'll have to DIY,  I lived in hope that someone else had already done it for me!

Jim