cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requirements for my Master Server (RAM memory and processors)

Juan-telnet
Level 2

Hi all.

I have great doubt

I am implementing a new platform in which there are 15 clients (Sun X4270). the questions is:

The master server with netbackup to manage clients, that memory (RAM) should have? the ram of the master server depends on the clients?

And talking about processors, also depends on customer? Obviously already taking into account the necessities of the installed applications

Thank you and good day

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This 2-year-old White Paper contains good suggestions for Master server sizing/specs. IMHO it should still be valid:  https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/whitepaper-netbackup-architecture-overview

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

In general the more the better, but the install and config guides cover the minimum and reccomended pre-reqs.

They say 2GB RAM but generally people use a minimum of 8GB and if you have more then great!

With only 15 clients you dont need to go too mad but as with all things more is better!

The same goes for processors on the Master and Media Servers

There are a lot of variables though - potential backup speeds - disk backups? de-dupe? etc,

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Juan,

The Getting started guide recommends to have a minimum of 2Gb of RAM for the Master.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5154 (page 31)

I personally think it's a good idea to have as much as possible because it is difficult to predict the rate of growth in the future. The more clients/media servers the more work the master (and media) server have to do.

As for processor go for as many as possible, at least 2, I'd go with at least 4 processors to allow for growth.

jim_dalton
Level 6

I found the guides good. Im not convinced by the more memory is good argument. I took half my memory out of my master (having followed the guide: its very explicit) with no detrimental effect though on Solaris you need to be aware theres a project config override otherwise you'll be denied memory , though not out of memory if that makes sense. Its documented.

Theres also good advice on cpu type and speed and why. SunT series it advises to avoid: this doesnt affect you  if you are Xseries tho'.

As others have mentioned there are lots of factors, the more detail you can supply the more accurate the advice you are likely to receive.

Jim

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Agreed But  with 15 clients, can probably get away with a low specification Master server. I assume the Master server will run all backups ( act as the media server ). The problem comes IF you add more clients....then more..... then more, each time the data backed up increases on these clients, basically you demand more than what you originally planned for.

15 clients becomes 350. 20Gb per client becomes 500Gb. Then you phone symantec because processes are core dumping/backup jobs are failing with 196 and probably 96 and you need to do a catalog migration to new hardware :)

Marianne

This 2-year-old White Paper contains good suggestions for Master server sizing/specs. IMHO it should still be valid:  https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/whitepaper-netbackup-architecture-overview

Juan-telnet
Level 2

THANKS TO ALL
WAS OF GREAT HELP ALL YOUR IDEAS, ESPECIALLY THE LAST DOCUMENT OF Marianne van den Berg

I HAVE THE SOLUTION WITH THE WHITE PAPER.

BEST REGARDS!

Hi Marianne, Could you allow the access to this link to me? I can't access the content.

Tks!

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If I'm not mistaken this link doesn't work anymore since split between Symantec and Veritas. If you have doubts about this subject, would be better open a new discussion.

Regards,

Thiago

Marianne
Replace www-secure.symantec with www.veritas:
https://www.veritas.com/connect/articles/whitepaper-netbackup-architecture-overview

I will now lock this discussion.