cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requirements for upgrade from 7.7.3 to 8.1

Intore
Level 4

Hi all, I'm planning the ugrade of Netbackup from 7.7.3 to 8.1 version for a customer.

He has:

- Main master server with Redhat 7.2 (as media server also)

- Replicated master server with Windows Server 2008 R2 (as media server also)

- Media server/OPS center with Windows Server 2008 R2

I have some questions about the requirements.

1. The main master server (Redhat) has already the nbwebsvc user and nbwebgrp group created but they don't exist in the replicated master server (Windows Server 2008 R2). Could I create these user and group as local?

2. I performed the SORT on the three servers. The main server is ok but not the others because of two issues:

Account privilege check
No mapping between account names and security IDs was done.

Port availability
1556 (pbx) Port 1556 is needed by NetBackup and was found to be in use on the system and it's
likely another process is using the port.

Could you tell me what the first one refers to?

About the port availability I just checked it and seems ok:

[root@mainserver /]# telnet replicated 1556
Trying x.x.x.x...
Connected to replicated.
Escape character is '^]'.

[root@mainserver /]# telnet media_ops 1556
Trying x.x.x.x...
Connected to media_ops.
Escape character is '^]'.

Thank you

Intore

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

yes create nbwebsrv/nbwebgrp on the target Windows Master. These can be local accounts. Maybe their absence is a cause of "account privilege check" error. Accounts are needed on Master's only, not Media's/OpsCenter's.

You must inspect on a network level (netstat -a -b) which process in listening on port 1556. If it is a pbx_exchange.exe, then it is ok.

Regards

Michal

View solution in original post

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Regarding "Port availability". Sort is complaining because it is in use, it expect the port to be free.

Please note there there is a difference between a installation assessment and a upgrade assessment.

If you know Netbackup components already install you can leave out the warning.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

yes create nbwebsrv/nbwebgrp on the target Windows Master. These can be local accounts. Maybe their absence is a cause of "account privilege check" error. Accounts are needed on Master's only, not Media's/OpsCenter's.

You must inspect on a network level (netstat -a -b) which process in listening on port 1556. If it is a pbx_exchange.exe, then it is ok.

Regards

Michal

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Regarding "Port availability". Sort is complaining because it is in use, it expect the port to be free.

Please note there there is a difference between a installation assessment and a upgrade assessment.

If you know Netbackup components already install you can leave out the warning.

Hi Michal, the group nbwebgrp and the user nbwebsvc have been created locally on the replicated master server. The user nbwebsvc belongs to the nbwebgrp group. The user nbwebsvc has been added to the Log on as a service policy as explained here.

After these actions I ran the SORT check. The message about the absence of the web group and user disappeared but there is a new message with regard the group:

The 'SeServiceLogonRight' privilege is not granted for account/group 'nbwebgrp' on machine 'replicated_master'.
Please make sure WinDC is run as Administrator, the 'nbwebgrp' Windows group exists and it has been granted the 'Log on
as a service' privilege.

As I read in the upgrade guide only the user nbwebsvc must have the Log on as a service privilege. Do you know something more about this issue?

About the port issue. I verified by using netstat and the listening process is pbx_exchange.exe

Thank you

Intore

Hi Nicolai. I just verified and the listening process on 1556 port is pbx_exchange.exe so I guess it's fine.

Thank you

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

I have always granted LogOn As A Service to nbwebsvc user only. So maybe this is a false warning.

Rgds

Michal

Marianne

@Intore 

Herewith some docs with detailed info:

Web server user/group setup steps for a NetBackup master server
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100023872.html

How to verify the nbwebsvc account has the proper permissions to install NetBackup 8.0

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100039007

NetBackup master server web server user and group creation
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/125240132-127350446-0/v125379205-127350446

Hi Marianne,

thank you. I already followed these instructions and checks. Everything is ok.

I just have the error message in the SORT output that I mentioned but I hope I can ignore it.

Thank you

Intore