Reset archive bit

jinxnbu
Level 5

Hi 

Heres my setup

Netbackup 7.6.0.1

Windows 2008 R2

Backups are targetted to disk and tape.

Most incremental backups are targetted to disk and full backups are targetted to tape. 

Customer wants to find out total time it takes if all jobs are targetted to a single storage. (for temporary purpose I am using another basic disk storage)

The schedules are as below

Sat - Full

Sun - Fri - Incremental

However for the purpose of doing the test I have been asked to run a full backup on sunday. 

So i will have Sat - Full (production backup)

Sun  - Full (Test full backup)

Mon - Fri (Incremental)

With this scneario the problem is if i were to expire my test full backup the incrementals are "orphaned".

Is there any way I can run the Sunday full (any archive bit setting) so that when the incremental runs on monday it will reference the Saturday full ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If i were to expire the sunday image, can i still do a file level restore / system restore ?

Yes. Sat - Full can be restored from.

If you change settings for Incr to be based on Mofification date/time, Mon Incr will backup all files changed since Sat Full.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello ,

first create new Ploiciy for Testbackup. (Copy of production policy) So there is no need for changing backup target on "real" policy. An inc is related to the full of the SAME policy,

second think about archive bit. You may change from archive bit to time stamp backup. Iam not sure but I think a full backup will reset this bit regadless your settings.

Another idea is to perform a cumulativ backup which will not rest the arcive bit. Since there is no full the cumu will be the same as a full backup. (and maybe a little slower)

Or You may change the tasks fron sun to sat an vice versa.

Or Your customer dont have backup relevant changes on the filesystem on weekend. (dream on :)

KR

Martin

RiaanBadenhorst

Can you explain this in a bit more detail "Customer wants to find out total time it takes if all jobs are targetted to a single storage."

Marianne

Change client Host Properties to base Incr on timestamp rather than archive bit.

jinxnbu
Level 5

Not sure if my earlier comment got posted hence a repost.

Thanks for the replies. 

Further to Martins point "An inc is related to the full of the SAME policy"

If i were to expire the sunday image, can i still do a file level restore / system restore ?

Hi Riaan,

Currently the backup jobs are split between 2 storage devices and the customer plans to move to a single storage. They want to get a rough estimate of backup window this change will cause due to any resource crunch.

Thanks

RiaanBadenhorst

I see, try Marianne's suggestion.

Marianne

Yes. Sat - Full can be restored from.

If you change settings for Incr to be based on Mofification date/time, Mon Incr will backup all files changed since Sat Full.