cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resize xfs FS /mnt/netbackup/msdp on media server

albatroz19
Level 5

Hi,
Storage team 5 years ago, assigned 5 LUN for /mnt/netbackup/msdp on media server (Not Appliance). Linux Sys admin created volume group and xfs for this. Now the Storage team with sys admin want delete 1 LUN and resize the FS.

Linux Admin added information that this operation isn't "hot" but they must destroy volume group and recreate it.

On Netbackup side, may i perform any operation, or i will see the msdp disk pool(Pure Disk) resized in automatic?

Thanks in advance,
Best Regards

8 REPLIES 8

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NetBackup will resize based on the reported size of the FS. I would be a bit concerned about the comment about destruction of the VG. What about the data/FS?

Hi,

The MSDP FS is empty because we waited for data out of retention.

Thanks & Regards

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Then it should be fine. As long as the file system is completely empty you can remove it and replace it with a new one

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

There might be no data logically retained within MSDP, but the so called empty folder structures will contain application meta-data that is required by the MSDP application embedded within NetBackup.

Before destroying the volume-group I would copy the contents elsewhere, and then let the storage guys destroy/re-create (effectively wipe) the mount-point, and then copy the structure back:

1) stop NetBackup on media server

2) copy MSDP meta-data structures somewhere safe

3) storage and system admins destroy and re-create mount-point

4) restore MSDP meta-data structures

5) restart NetBackup on media server

Hi,

sys admin destoyed the /mnt/msdp fs and now is empty. They deleted also the structure backuped by me, got error.

Now, if i try to use the msdp on media server, i have this error:

nbdevconfig -getconfig -stype PureDisk -storage_server bckmi3nbms02
RDSM has encountered an issue with STS where the server was not found: getStorageServerConfig
failed to get storage server configuration information, invalid command parameter

How can recover the situation?
I would like remove diskpool and recreate it with same fs now empty.

Thanks & Regards

sdo

I think you've lost that one my friend.  Probably best to bin the server and start again.  There was nothing in it anyway.  It will be quicker to re-install OS, patch OS up to date, install NetBackup Server, configure MSDP again.

Hi,

Master server it's ok because work with one appliance 5330. This case regarding another media server connected to it, that is a server linux (no appliance) that is used in case of other space needed. So, may i delete the msdp disk pool and reconfigure it?

How can i proceed?

Thanks

sdo

And now you've lost me too.  Sorry.  It's probably best if you now open a proper official support case with Veritas, and see if they can work out where you started, what you did, and where you are now, and whether anything at all remains salvagable... because I no longer understand where you started from, nor what you originally intended, nor what you did, nor what your current situation is.  Sorry.