cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restart necessary? Upgrading Unix NetBackup Clients

NBMe
Level 3

Hi Everyone,

I’m working with our Unix Administrator to upgrade the NetBackup Agents on all of our Unix clients.  We have a NetBackup 5220 Appliance with OS 2.5 running NetBackup 7.5.0.2 as the Master/Media server with a large Storage-Shelf Bin (MSDP).  Our Unix clients are running a mixture of older versions of the NetBackup Client (6.5.4, 7.0 & 7.1).  I’ve read the NetBackup 7.5 Installation Guide for Unix on how to do a remote installation of the NetBackup Client using the Java Remote Admin Console. 

Our question is, after the installation and upgrade of the NetBackup Agent from whatever earlier version they are running to 7.5, do we need to reboot these Unix servers? 

I know that on the Windows side we generally do not have to reboot the servers or we’ll run a quick “bpdown & bpup” command to restart the NetBackup services on that client.  We don’t have an issue with restarting our Unix clients, it’s only that we’ll have to plan it for another maintenance window where we can take them offline post NBU Client upgrade. 

Any insights will be greatly appreciated.  Many Thanks in advance!  =]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

No - that is not necessary.

You may in some scenarios have to stop Oracle in order to upgrade the Netbackup Oracle agent.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

No - that is not necessary.

You may in some scenarios have to stop Oracle in order to upgrade the Netbackup Oracle agent.

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi,

there is no need of restarting the server after you installing the Netbackup  in any level (master/media/client) in any OS Flatfrom(windows/unix/linux.)

we just simply go ahead and upgrade or  install it..

Good luck.. 

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with Nicolai and Nagalla. No need to restart Clients.