cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoration - Solaris to Windows

H_Sharma
Level 6

Hello Experts,

I was restoring one solaris client backup to our master server (Windows)

There are 3 options.

1:- Restore everthing to its original location. Not required.

2:- Restore everything to a different location 

Browse option is there but its showing clients destination only. I can not change it to master location.

3:- Restore individua folders and files to different location (Double clict to modify)

If i select the new destination Its again showing client's location.  I can not change it to master location.

Where can i put master server  location to  restore?

Pls help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

OK, based on the latest update,I believe you are now wanting to restore files from a Solaris client server to a Linux client server. And as I can tell, the source Solaris client name is monitbkp and the target client name is yxcvbapp-bkp.

If the fully qualified paths in the backup image do not already exist on the target restore server, you only need to change the restore client name in the BAR. There is no need to change the pathing as it does not exist on the target and will not be overwriting anything.  After the restore, the identical fully qualified path will now exist on the target client yxcvbapp-bkp. If, however,  you want it to go under the directory /backup on client yxcvbapp-bkp, then specify just /backup as the new  destination directory. After the restore completes your new files will exist under the /backup directory on the target server.

So basically, the steps to follow are:

1. Open the backup image file listing on the BAR and select the file or files to be restored.

2. Set monitbkp as the source server, set yxcvbapp-bkp as the destination server, and (as needed) set the new location to be  /backup.  Just to be on the safe side I would make the /backup be an empty directory.  When the restore completes, look in the /backup directory for the restored file(s).

BTW, if you were trying this and going to a Windows server (Master or otherwise), and for example you wanted it to go to the local drive L:\backup on that Windows server, the restore location definition would have been /L/backup for the operation.

Hope this is suficient to perform the actions you are trying to do.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

restore from Solaris client to windows client(which is also master server)...?

sorry it is not supported..

you need to use any other unix client as a destiantion client..

Unix to windows restore is not supported..

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
Although its not supported you can provide the restore location as a unix style path and the restore should complete successfully. For example if you want to restore to "C:\restore" then you need to give the restore destination as "/C/restore/" You can use any of the 3 restore options with the destination in the above format.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Instead of browse you can type the location.

But as stated above - restore to different OS 'family' (e.g. Unix/Solaris/Linux to Windows) is not supported.

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

As mentioned above, cross platform restores of backup images is not supported by NBU. There actually is  TECH article that describes this (the article number escapes me at this time). The format of the restored file on the target server can be indeterminate. A few other situations that can arise:

If the client backup was performed with the "compress" policy option, ALL of the restored files will be unusable. With this policy option enabled, the client's local files are compressed ahead of sending to the media manager. Although the compression algorithm used for Windows and Unix backups are very close, the decompress library on the target server will not recognize the file type, as the Windows and Unix libraries are not compatible with each other.  The restored files will remain in their compressed state.

It is even worse for restores from Windows client to Unix/Linux server.  All of the files will have a "Windows stream header" at the head of the file. The Unix/Linux server will not automatically  strip off the header information. Only a Windows target client will recognize it and strip it off.

If you feel handy with it, you can make use of the "bprestore" command to initiate the restore and use the "-rename" option to do the path redirection.  See the commands reference guide to see how it is done.

H_Sharma
Level 6

Ok if i need to restore to another unix server suppose server is yxcvbapp-bkp and i need to restore below file in restore under root directory What syntax i need to give.

the default is coming 

New Destination.. and it says double click to change it.

app:\utiba\log\event\i-jkkk1\20150507_00.log

H_Sharma
Level 6

Hi Amol,

It says restore to the below path

app:\utiba\log\event\i-vas_1\

Now if i  want to restore it to L:/backup folder on windows what would be the syntax.

Marianne

For Unix to Unix restore you need to specify proper Unix paths:

/app/utiba/log/event/i-jkkk1/

H_Sharma
Level 6

path is fine....

If i select the 3rd option restore individual folder and files to differnet location (Double click to mofdify)
there is location app:\utiba\log\event\i-vas_1\20150507_00.log and then browse button. if i click on brose buttoon
it says unable to connect to netbackup host.

sO suppose i have a server name monitbkp and i want to restore the file on /backup what would be the syntax?

Marianne

If you use a Windows master, you cannot browse a Unix client in BAR.

You need to type in the destination path in Unix format.

ontherocks
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Hargyan,

In the restore destination path mention path as "/L/Backup/"

It should work

H_Sharma
Level 6

is it simple /L/backup/

or "/L/Backup/" ?

Marianne

Wait! Start again.

Were do you want to restore from and where to?

Source Client OS:
Source Client source (backup) path:

Destination Client OS:
Destination client restore path: 

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

OK, based on the latest update,I believe you are now wanting to restore files from a Solaris client server to a Linux client server. And as I can tell, the source Solaris client name is monitbkp and the target client name is yxcvbapp-bkp.

If the fully qualified paths in the backup image do not already exist on the target restore server, you only need to change the restore client name in the BAR. There is no need to change the pathing as it does not exist on the target and will not be overwriting anything.  After the restore, the identical fully qualified path will now exist on the target client yxcvbapp-bkp. If, however,  you want it to go under the directory /backup on client yxcvbapp-bkp, then specify just /backup as the new  destination directory. After the restore completes your new files will exist under the /backup directory on the target server.

So basically, the steps to follow are:

1. Open the backup image file listing on the BAR and select the file or files to be restored.

2. Set monitbkp as the source server, set yxcvbapp-bkp as the destination server, and (as needed) set the new location to be  /backup.  Just to be on the safe side I would make the /backup be an empty directory.  When the restore completes, look in the /backup directory for the restored file(s).

BTW, if you were trying this and going to a Windows server (Master or otherwise), and for example you wanted it to go to the local drive L:\backup on that Windows server, the restore location definition would have been /L/backup for the operation.

Hope this is suficient to perform the actions you are trying to do.