cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoration Test

Jan_Rustico
Level 4

I would like to perform a restoration test for flar files and databases. What should I need to know and prepare to restoration test? We have production servers. Shoudl i need to prerpare test servers? We have MS SQL Server 2008 and Oracle databases. We are using NBU 7.6.0.4 under Windows Server 2012 R2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Same as any other restore with some additional steps...

Open BAR GUI on the master. (Only master can perform redirected file-level restore.)

Click “File” and select “Specify Netbackup Machines”

Server to be used for backups and restores will always be the master server.

Source client for restores is the client on which the backups were performed. You can click on “Edit Client List” to change the client. This list must also contain the client that you will restore to. This name must match the Client name in the Policy.

Destination client for restores is the client that you will restore to. You can click on the drop down to see a list of clients for selection.

Policy type for restores must correspond to the type of backups in the source client Policy. 

Click OK.

Select files'/folders to be restored and click on 'Restore' icon.

In the next screen (Restore Marked files), select 2nd or 3rd option to restore to different location.
Type in different location.

Select appropriate Restore Options at the bottom of the screen.

Click 'Start Restore'.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

I would go with test servers, of course that requires installing the database binaries on test servers

Else you can restore to an alternative locatioon on the production servers

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Marianne

I agree - you should have test servers.

To perform restore to different client, download the Agent guide for each DB agent and read up about redirected (alternate) Client restore.
Work with your DBAs to prepare test server(s), install the DB binaries and test comms with NBU master and media servers.
You will need to create altnames files on the master to allow redirected restore. 
All of this can be found in the relevant agent guide.

All NBU 7.6 manuals:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6488

Jan_Rustico
Level 4

please provide me details on the UX/Windows redirected restores

Marianne

Same as any other restore with some additional steps...

Open BAR GUI on the master. (Only master can perform redirected file-level restore.)

Click “File” and select “Specify Netbackup Machines”

Server to be used for backups and restores will always be the master server.

Source client for restores is the client on which the backups were performed. You can click on “Edit Client List” to change the client. This list must also contain the client that you will restore to. This name must match the Client name in the Policy.

Destination client for restores is the client that you will restore to. You can click on the drop down to see a list of clients for selection.

Policy type for restores must correspond to the type of backups in the source client Policy. 

Click OK.

Select files'/folders to be restored and click on 'Restore' icon.

In the next screen (Restore Marked files), select 2nd or 3rd option to restore to different location.
Type in different location.

Select appropriate Restore Options at the bottom of the screen.

Click 'Start Restore'.

Jan_Rustico
Level 4

How about restoring MS SQL and Oracle ? it has different process/procedure right? PLease help.

Marianne
Yes. As per my post of 1 June - you need to download the relevant Agent Guides for step-by-step instructions.

Jan_Rustico
Level 4

On the destination side, do i need to install nbu client software?

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes.