Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoration of NDMP

GV89
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Guys,

Could somebody tell me about restoration of NDMP.

We have two filer F1 and F2 my TL is locally connected to F2, so can i restore data directly to F1 filer...?

Both the manufactuer and version of F1 ad F2 are same.(Netapp version 8.1.2.7)

Or should i any licence to restore to F1...?

My master server is able to ping F1 and F2.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rk1074
Level 6
Partner

@GV

You can restore it like the 3 way NDMP  but you better have a prior approval from Client .

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

rk1074
Level 6
Partner

Hello GV89,

thats seems to be a bit tricky question.

can u please explain a bit more about ur env.? master server version, library make etc..

GV89
Level 4

my master and media server is acting as same and is on VM.

data is snapvaulted from F1 to F2 and we are backing from F2 so i need to know can i directly restore to F1 by just adding new NDMP Host and the credential of F1 filer...or i need to purchase licence for that.

Master server is on : 7.5.0.5

rk1074
Level 6
Partner

have u bought a separate NDMP license for the second fileer (f1)

if yes, then  should be able to restore after performing zonig of the filers .

GV89
Level 4

is licence required......??

Any expert commnets...?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If you plan to utilise F1 and F2 for anything other than DR purposes then you should license both

If only F2 has a tape drive then any restore would be done using that tape drive - I do not believe the NDMP protocol would allow data to pass from the one filer to the other.

GV89
Level 4

Hi Mark,

I am not able to understand why cant we restore data to filer F1 if my Tape drive are attached to filer F2.

let me clarify.

Performing NDMP restores can only be performed by an administrator on the NetBackup (master or media) server. User-directed restores of files are not allowed, since no NetBackup client software is installed on an NDMP host. Use the Backup, Archive, and Restore interface on the NetBackup server to restore files to the following:-

The NDMP host from which they were backed up (Local NDMP)

Or to a different NDMP host (2 way NDMP) .

The restore i am talking about would be a redirected 2 way restore i.e.from the data on tape of one NDMP filer to the disk on other filer......(So does it required licence..?? )

Secondly the data would be read from the filer which had tape drives zone and written to another filer. While reading the data we need media and a tape drive, however while writing NetBackup NDMP doesn’t need any drive as it will write directly to the disk on the destination filer...

GV89
Level 4

@BackupGuy786 :

have u bought a separate NDMP license for the second fileer (f1) : NO

Does it necessary to perform zoning then only u can perform restore...??

But my both the Filers F1/F2 are in same domain...

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

OK - there was 3 way backup so i guess that 3 way restore may work - I cannot see it documented anywhere so you may need to check directly with Symantec or give it a go and try it

The licensing question is a good one - everything in the guides talks about "protection" and as you are only restoring to it i guess you are not protecting it - again it "feels" like you should have a license as you are activaly using and configuring it within NetBackup so again maybe you need to get an officla response in writing from Symantec to establish if you are licensed correctly for doing what you want to do

GV89
Level 4

Any body please let me know..????

rk1074
Level 6
Partner

U need to have additional license for ur F1 and then u can restore the files like a 3-way NDMP architecture

rk1074
Level 6
Partner

@GV

You can restore it like the 3 way NDMP  but you better have a prior approval from Client .

GV89
Level 4

thanks all.....