cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoration real size not reflecting on client side

susindran_surul
Level 6

Hi Folk,

We have solaris 10 master,media server(7.6) and client is redhat linux(7.6).We are trying to restore oracle RMAN Level 0 backup and i could see on GUI showing 3.1TB restoration completed currently and still restoration running.But we could see on client side only 750GB completed now.Why its not reflecting 3.1 TB on client side?

Any one help on this.Is there real size will reflect once all restoration complete?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

the size that is showing on GUI Restore window is the data Read size by bptm.. that is not actually write Data on Destination.

you can only find the write data by seeing the Destination client path and how much is actaully committed in disk 

in your case 750 GB is actaully write data. and to write the 750 GB data ...netbackup needs to read 3.1 TB data on the tape... 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

If restoring from a multiplxed tape the 3.1TB is what Netbackup has read from tape. But a lot of the data does not belong to the Oracle backup and has been discharded. This is the price you pay for using MPX backup - restore is slower.

Hope it explain.

susindran_surul
Level 6

Hi Nicolas,

Currently RMAN restoration is running with multi channel mode.I mean those 3.1 TB size is showing currently completed channel not running channel.I hope if the channel showing status code 0 should be real size on GUI right?

RamNagalla

the size that is showing on GUI Restore window is the data Read size by bptm.. that is not actually write Data on Destination.

you can only find the write data by seeing the Destination client path and how much is actaully committed in disk 

in your case 750 GB is actaully write data. and to write the 750 GB data ...netbackup needs to read 3.1 TB data on the tape... 

susindran_surul
Level 6

Hi RamNagalla,

Thanks for your help.So no way we can check current real restored size from netbackup end?

RamNagalla

may be you can get it when you read the bptm log in media server or tar log in client 

i never tried that.. 

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Not really for MPX restore. If running non-mpx restore or restore from disk - you can trust the number in the GUI.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

If your environment are uses a rman catalog database you can get the dba to find the database size there.

If still possible you can check the size of the level_o (full) backups under the client backup report, but this only gives the size of the filesets received from rman so it only be a guide.

Another way is to list the backup images under catalog, with the same caveat as the client backup report

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue