cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Client not in Domain

Stefan_Schuelle
Level 2

Hi,

does anybody know if it is possible to connect a client to my masterserver and restore a backup to it if this client is NOT in the domain? 

So we could just restore a whole server without first to put the client into the domain.

Master: Windows 2016 NB 8.1.2

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Your client will require the master server CA vertificate and client certificate to enable any NetBackup communications to occur. So the client needs to be added to the domain - it does not require a backup policy but does need to be added. If you don't create a policy, you will also probably need to create a token to enable the certificate to be created and added for the client.

If I've misunderstood and you mean Windows domain, then no there is no requirement for a client to be part of the Windows domain. 

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Curious about "restore a whole server".

BMR restore?
Or restore failed server from ALL_LOCAL_DRIVE backup?
Or clone a server?

Futher to my previous reply - if you installed NetBackup 8.0 client software (or lower), then you could avoid the requirement for certificates - thus keeping the client off the NetBackup domain.

I kind of depends on what you are restoring whether this would work (but for a standard backup MS-Windows you should be okay). 

Tousif
Level 6

Hello,

Could you please share information asked by Marianne? The solution may differ based on your input.

Regards,
Tousif

Hi and thanks for the answers / questions.

No BMR, we install Windows on a client and the NB Client to restore a Server.
So its a restore from All local Drives.

Windows Domain, active directory.

Bckup Policy and client added to this is not a problem. We only have one masterserver so only one NB-Domain.
My question is targeting towards the ability to restore a "fresh" Windows Server only by installing the OS and a NB-Client and not adding this server to a windows-domain.

Thanks

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please have a look at this article:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100045797

Although it was updated earlier this year, the doc is quite old and does NOT cover information about security certificates.

Note that this method is intended for disaster recovery - same hostname, same (or near identical) hardware.

To perform a successful restore to a machine with dissimilar hardware Veritas recommends the use of Netbackup Bare Metal Restore or Veritas System Recovery.