cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Exchange failed error 2810 and 5.

mohanmurugesan
Level 1

Hi Team,

We are trying to perform a granular level restore of few mailboxes in our environment but we are running into the below error and we are not able to recover all the mail items but the mailbox gets populated with some objects. Also the recovered objects are rendered useless as the exchange team is not able to export them.

Our master server is in netbackup 7.7.3. Someone please help us address the issue.

ERR - unable to create object for restore: <object name> One more file <000000007e6d225d5bca0a429fd886b007115674070003efbb110ca8384e9eaeda8a1e96d1f5000000104f41000003efbb110ca8384e9eaeda8a1e96d1f5000059a49f6e0000>, rai error = 6
5 REPLIES 5

GeForce123
Level 5

What version of NetBackup is the client on the Exchange server(s)?

Can you copy the detailed status view of the failed job and post that here?

Lowell_Palecek
Level 6
Employee

The questions from @GeForce123 are vital. In addition these logs from the client will be needed with the Windows logging set to level 2: ncfgre and two files from the beds folder that have "EWS" in their names. (I'm assuming Exchange 2010 or later. If 2007, look for files in the beds folder with "MAPI" and "nbremsrv" in their names.)

manatee
Level 6

from my past experience with NBU 7.5, if you need to restore in Exchange you need to have the same size hd in which to restore the mailbox database/s because you cannot restore an individual mail item alone. you have to restore the whole db.

so source hd size must be equal to the destination hd size. first and foremost.

and don't forget NTFS permissions.

@manatee "...if you need to restore in Exchange you need to have the same size hd in which to restore the mailbox database/s because you cannot restore an individual mail item alone. you have to restore the whole db."

That's not true. Never has been true. Exchange protection in a VMware backup began in NetBackup 7.5, and GRT restore has been part of it from the beginning. The Exchange database changed a lot in Exchange 2013, so Exchange 2013 database restore was supported several months before GRT (7.6 vs. 7.6.0.3).

We can solve individual situations, such as the present question. We can't solve generalities.

For the present case, we need NetBackup version, Exchange version including CU, job details, and some logs.

@Lowell_Palecek

yup that's what i did back then. couldn't restore a single mail item. i have to restore the whole db and then get the mail item i need. maybe the GRT was off back then.

if my experiences were not correct it was unfortunate that NBU here is represented by vendors with no real knowledgable engineers. now all my Windows backups are being done with Veeam as the installation team was very knowledgable and helped us configure and an Exchange backup where we can backup and restore even a single email.

luckily Veeam still have no agent for Solaris.