cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore FROM another server

Jon_Derrenbacke
Not applicable
In NetBackup 4.5, is it possible to restore FROM a different server?
Right now, if I want to restore something backed up on 'serverX' I have to log in to 'serverX' and open NetBackup 'Backup, Archive, Restore' and do the restore from that particular server.

I want to be able to get rid of some of these old servers though, but still be able to restore data that was on them at one time. So I would like to be able to do any restore FROM the master/media server if possible.

Insight, advice?

Thanks in advance,
Jon

2 REPLIES 2

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Yes you can restore from a different media server, you only need to add the following line to your bp.conf on the master server:

FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = <old server> <new server>

This will redirect the Media server to a new Media server.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
funny how two people read the same question and see something different.

I take it that any time you want to restore anything you always log on to that server and do the restore, if it is a media server or not.

no you do not have to do that.   you can call ALL restores from your master, your media, or the admin console on your pc. 

I never log into a client server to start a restore, in fact I have it configed that the client is NOT allowed to do restores.  This can be a security issue.   Here all restores come from the admin console or the master/meadia server.