cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore VMDK - BAR Client can only see backup via Normal, not Virtual Machine.

Aaron_T1
Level 2

Hi All,

I am doing some testing in our DR environment running Netbackup 7.0.1 (Matches with production)

- Backup made on Server1 via FlashBackup-Windows - Full backup of a VM  to Tape - This is able to be seen on the BAR client here, and selecting Restore from Normal Backup shows individual files to be restored. I can also select Restore from Virtual Machine which shows the VMDK files to be restored.

Tape has been imported to Server2 - in BAR I set up the Netbackup Machines & Policy type. If I use Restore from Normal Backup i can see the individual files - and have restored this succesfully...This would lead me to assume the image has been imported OK, etc.

When I select Restore from Virtual Machine - I get thrown the error that the server does not contain any backups for the client usint the specified policy type.

Is there a step I am missing when importing here? Do I need to do something different?

Can't figure out why in PROD I can use both Restore options, yet in DR I can only see the Normal Backup.

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Aaron_T1
Level 2

Hi All,

Ended up being a bug in the version we are using where the backup type is set incorrectly.

There is a known issue when importing Vmware backups that it incorrectly sets the VM_TYPE in the header file.

There is more info about this here:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH182888

Thanks

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified
What version is prod running? Known bug about restoring large VMs in 7.0.1

Aaron_T1
Level 2

Thanks for the reply, they are both running 7.0.1

The individual VMDK that i'm testing the restore on is no where near 1TB either, its about a 16GB file.

and as I said, it actually is available to restore in production fine

The main issue is not being able to see any history when viewing the Restore Type as "Restore from Virtual Machine Backup" - However it DOES show history when the Restore Type is "Restore from Normal Backup" (Which shows me the drive letters/files/folders within the VM)

Cheers

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Prod =

Master Server-A 

VM=VMGUEST1

DR=

Master Server-B

What is the netbackup client setings you did in BAR

Backup Server = Server-A/ B ???

Source Client = VMGUEST

Destination Client =ESX /vCenter

Policy Type =Flashbackup

Try Backup Server as Server A (Though not required but give a try)

Also was Import successful ??? incuding both phases

Let us know if above works

Aaron_T1
Level 2

Hi All,

Ended up being a bug in the version we are using where the backup type is set incorrectly.

There is a known issue when importing Vmware backups that it incorrectly sets the VM_TYPE in the header file.

There is more info about this here:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH182888

Thanks

Will_Restore
Level 6

thanks for posting the solution!