cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore VMDK as a file

BaddaBoom
Level 3

Hello

Is there a way to restore VMDK backups as flat files to an alternate location? Without restoring the VM itself?

This question came up because we had an issue with our vCenter a few weeks back and realized we couldn't restore ANY VM's without vCenter being active so we are looking for a way to recover vCenter without vCenter.

One way we think we can skin this cat is to use the vmdk files and push those to a host. However I don't know HOW to get the VMDK's out from netbackup as files.

Suggestions?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

eduncan
Level 5
Employee

Unfortunately you can't restore the VMDK file as a flat file.

VMware data can only be restored to VMware environment.

If vCenter is down, you can restore to an ESX server.  First you need to remove the ESX server from vCenter management.

http://www.running-system.com/disassociate-esxi-host-vcenter-vcenter-not-available/

Or you can build an ESX server just for vCenter recovery that is never managed by the vCenter.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

eduncan
Level 5
Employee

Unfortunately you can't restore the VMDK file as a flat file.

VMware data can only be restored to VMware environment.

If vCenter is down, you can restore to an ESX server.  First you need to remove the ESX server from vCenter management.

http://www.running-system.com/disassociate-esxi-host-vcenter-vcenter-not-available/

Or you can build an ESX server just for vCenter recovery that is never managed by the vCenter.

Thanks for the info.

We've been experimenting trying to use our hosts as "Restore ESX Hosts" but I'm having issues with that as well. I'm probably going to have to put in a support ticket to try and get that resolved

"First you need to remove the ESX server from vCenter management."

Could you possibly elaborate a bit more on this? WHY do you have to remove it from vCenter management?

The VMware API won't allow you to perform certain task directly to the ESX host that is managed by a vCenter.  So for example the create VM calls are going to fail because your ESX host is managed by a vCenter (even though the vCenter is down).

Ok, I think that explains the error message I got when I tried it? :)

Aug 15, 2017 1:22:10 PM - Info bpdm (pid=8888) completed reading backup image

Aug 15, 2017 1:22:13 PM - Info bpVMutil (pid=8836) INF - vmwareLogger: WaitForTaskComplete: Access to resource settings on the host is restricted to the server that is managing it: '192.168.5.220'. <270>

Aug 15, 2017 1:22:13 PM - Info bpVMutil (pid=8836) INF - vmwareLogger: WaitForTaskComplete: SYM_VMC_ERROR:  TASK_REACHED_ERROR_STATE

Aug 15, 2017 1:22:13 PM - Info bpVMutil (pid=8836) INF - vmwareLogger: CreateVm: SYM_VMC_ERROR:  TASK_REACHED_ERROR_STATE

Aug 15, 2017 1:22:13 PM - Info bpVMutil (pid=8836) INF - vmwareLogger: CreateVirtualMachineExAPI: SYM_VMC_ERROR:  TASK_REACHED_ERROR_STATE

Yes that error is exacly a reflection of what happens when you restore to an ESX host that is managed by a VC.