Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi,

Following are our enviornment->

WIndows server 2003 enterprise server

NBU 7.0.1

VMware 4.0

Backuphost- same master server

We used backupadmin credential to backup vmware host in credential tab netbackup for vmware.

when we login netbackup server with another user and try to restore vmware guest machine it failed with status code 5.

But when we login netbackup server with backupadmin and try to restore vmware guest machine it was successfully completed.

Question arise from my side->

1) Will it is necessary to used same credential for backup of vmware machine and restore vmware machine?

2) If it is then when we login netbackup server to another administrator user and try to take backup of vmware machine which was successfully completed.

3) if same credential used for vmware backup and vmware restore then is there any technote or reference note from symantec.

waiting for reply

6 REPLIES 6

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
There are no relevance between logon user account in Windows and credential which NetBackup use to access VMware world. I assume the user you used to login does not have system administrative right of your backup server. Please check if the user is in administrator group.

Anonymous
Not applicable

ktandel
Level 4

Yasuhisa i have login netbakckup server with different user (kishor) and  Administration Console -> Media and Device Management -> Credentials -> NetBackup Virtual Machine Server user was differnet (backupadmin).

So i required systemadmin permission for user kishor?

What about Administration Console -> Media and Device Management -> Credentials -> NetBackup Virtual Machine Server credential (backupadmin)? this credential have all right for vmware backup and restore. only problem here to restore vmware machine everytime i have login netbackup server with bakcupadmin credential.

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

Hi,

pls check is thr any services running on master using "backupadmin" credential , make sure all NBU services running under "local system account" 

ktandel
Level 4

No yogesh,

All service running in local system account .

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Virtual Machine Server credential is user of VMware world and used to access VMware. You don't have to create backuadmin user in Windows world. NetBackup for VMware works without it.

Whereas, Windows login user must have valid access privileges to complete what you would like to do. For example, in file backup, non-administrator user can only restore his own files. kishor must have administrator privilege on this backup server.If NetBackup does not require you administrator privilege, everyone can restore VMs.